Hurley Leads Raider Lacrosse Team To Win Over Marist

After opening its Patriot League season with consecutive losses to nationally-ranked military academies, the Colgate men’s lacrosse team bounced back Tuesday night with an 11-7 victory over Marist on the road.One week after losing to seventh-ranked Navy, 11-6, in their first Patriot League contest, the Raiders hosted ninth-ranked Army in their Patriot League home opener on Saturday. The Raiders, who defeated the Black Knights, 12-11, last season in one of the highlights of the year, battled hard in the first quarter. Even though the Raiders were able to win all three face-offs and out-shoot the Black Knights in the opening stanza, Army fired two shots past Raider junior goaltender Andrew Jarolimek, heading into the second up by two goals. The Raiders, searching for their first Patriot League victory of the year, came back to nearly take the lead heading into halftime. After an early Army tally, junior Reid Diamond got Colgate on the board after finding the back of the net three minutes into the quarter. The score remained 3-1 for the rest of the period until sophomore Rob Ryan scored with 74 seconds left to send the game into halftime at 3-2.Starting strong to begin the second half, the Black Knights proved that they belonged among the top 10 teams in the nation. The visitors strung together seven consecutive goals, including four in the third quarter, to jump out to a 7-2 lead over the host Raiders. Army continued its domination in the fourth as the Knights added three more tallies before Colgate was able to get on the board in the second half. Junior Rob Trasolini finally stopped the bleeding for Colgate, putting the ball past the Army netminder with less than eight minutes to play in the game. The goal, however, did not lead to a scoring streak for Colgate, as the Black Knights answered a few minutes later with their 11th and final goal of the game. One bright spot for the Raiders was sophomore defenseman Colin Hulme, who notched his first career goal with 32 seconds left. Despite the milestone for Hulme, the Black Knights got the best of the Raiders and Colgate fell to 0-2 in the Patriot League. Having given up a combined 22 goals to two top-10 Patriot League opponents, the Raiders hoped to take out some aggression when they traveled to Marist Tuesday night. Colgate, whose record had fallen to 3-3, looked to beat up on the 1-2 Red Foxes in Kingston, NY. A fresh face started off the scoring for the Raiders in the first quarter, as first-year midfielder Trevor Marticke notched his first career goal to put Colgate up, 1-0. The goal, assisted by classmate Matt Lalli, was scored just 90 seconds into the contest. The game remained 1-0 until Marist was able to slip one past Jarolimek to tie the game heading into the second quarter. The Raiders exploded in the second, capitalizing on a man-up opportunity by getting a goal from sophomore Brendan Hurley just 30 seconds into the stanza. A few minutes later, Lalli continued to set up his teammates, finding junior Brian Robinson and Hurley again for goals at 10:46 and 8:25, respectively. After Marist scored to make the game 4-2, Hurley returned the favor, hitting Lalli with a pass for a goal with less than seven minutes remaining before halftime. A Red Fox goal with a minute left sent the game into the half with the Raiders on top, 5-3. Colgate continued its trend of coming out slow after the half, as the Raiders allowed three consecutive Marist goals to start the third quarter. The Raiders were simply outplayed by the home team, as the Red Foxes held a 7-0 advantage on ground balls at the end of the quarter. Hurley added the lone goal of the period for the Raiders, who headed into the fourth with the game knotted at six. Scoring just 17 seconds into the final session, however, Ryan gave the Raiders a much-needed lead. Hulme, who is regarded as a defensive specialist, scored for the second time in four days, putting the Raiders up, 8-6, with 13 minutes left in the contest. Colgate scored twice more before Marist added their seventh goal of the game with 5:42 remaining. Up by three goals with less than three minutes to play, Hurley found Lalli again for the first-year’s second tally of the game at the 2:47 mark of the fourth quarter. Jarolimek also stepped up for the Raiders in the final quarter, making five saves en route to an 11-7 Colgate victory, which snapped the team’s two-game losing streak. Aside from Jarolimek, who finished with 12 saves, Lalli and Hurley stole the show for the Raiders. Each finished with six points and six shots. Hurley tallied four goals and added two assists, while Lalli worked on his sharing, dishing out four dimes. The 4-3 Raiders return to Patriot League action tomorrow, as the team takes on the 2-7 Holy Cross Crusaders at Tyler’s Field, with the game set to begin at 3 p.m.