Best of 2005 to be Honored by 1819 Award

Recently, President Rebecca Chopp sent out an e-mail informing the Colgate community of the upcoming deadline for nominations for the 1819 Award. The 1819 Award has a rich tradition, of which some students may not be aware.The Colgate Alumni Corporation 1819 Award is the University’s most prestigious and selective award. Each year after a rigorous and extensive selection process, it is presented to “the senior whose character, scholarship, sportsmanship, and service to others best exemplify the spirit that is Colgate.”Recent winners certainly fit these criteria and have set the bar for this year’s candidates. In 2002, Tim Seamans received the 1819 Award. In his four years at Colgate, Seamans was an active member and leader in an array of clubs including Men Advocating Change, Drug and Alcohol Awareness Group, Colgate Thirteen, Konosioni and intramural sports. Additionally, he was a member of the Residential Life Council and Resident Advisor for three years. A member of the Phi Eta Sigma honor society, Seamans sat on the committee that chooses the “Professor of the Year.” Seamans received a scholarship and a fellowship, both for outstanding leadership and academic achievement, as well as the Fulbright Teaching Fellowship in France. He worked in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a tour guide and as a student host coordinator. He also volunteered as a swimming instructor for Hamilton Central School and served as a deacon of the University Church. Seamans graduated magna cum laude.The 2003 recipient, Kelli Wong, was equally as impressive. Wong served as President of her class for three years and as a member of numerous organizations including China Club, Asian Awareness Coalition, Juggling Club, CAB Special Events and Konosioni. She also served as a Head Resident Advisor. Wong was a finalist for a Gates fellowship and won both Fulbright and Watson fellowships. Before graduating, she was published in the field of organic chemistry.Last year, Courtney Hostetler received the 1819 award for her excellence in academics, athletics, leadership and volunteer work. Hostetler graduated summa cum laude, receiving high honors in Peace Studies, the Sterling Prize from the Peace Studies program and distinction in the liberal Arts Core curriculum. She was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Eta Sigma honor societies, an Alumni Memorial Scholar, a George Cobb Fellow and a Charles A. Dana Scholar. A member of the women’s soccer team, Hostetler received the John T. Mitchell Memorial Award for athletics. On campus, she founded the student groups Exploring Spirituality and the Sign Language Club, as well as maintaining active memberships in Students for Social Justice, Konosioni and the Madison Tutoring Club.If you know a senior who lives up to the standards set by these outstanding past recipients, be sure to nominate them by March 15.