The House That Beta Built

The House That Beta Built

Beta is back. The Beta Theta Pi (Beta) fraternity has been granted permission to host catered parties in its Colgate chapter house this spring for the first time in more than two years. The house received the go-ahead in mid-February from the Beta national office and Colgate University. This is the most recent event in the story of Beta’s long road to recovery and recognition following their suspension in February 2003.Beta’s disciplinary troubles began in the fall of 2002 with an incident involving the intoxication of an underage student. According to witnesses, the student became ill after consuming excessive amounts of alcohol at the Beta house and ended up in the emergency room. The severity of the student’s condition, along with the circumstances surrounding the event and the implication of hazing, prompted the convening of the Student Conduct Board. “A student became dangerously intoxicated at an event that allegedly involved hazing at the Beta house,” Assistant Dean of the College Noel Bisson said. “We had an obligation to respond to that.” The Student Conduct Board, led by Bisson, held a hearing in February 2003 to determine the culpability of the fraternity in the incident. The Board found Beta guilty of hazing and suspended the house for three semesters. Colgate’s suspension stipulated that Beta was not to be recognized as a campus organization and would be unable to recruit or initiate new members. Members of the fraternity were still allowed to live in the chapter house, but they could not exist as an entity in the InterFraternity Council (IFC), intramural sports or in any other Colgate institution. Beyond the three-semester suspension, the Board ordered the Beta house to remain alcohol-free for five semesters, through the spring of 2005. The Colgate chapter was also suspended by the national Beta Theta Pi organization. “We received a long list of directives from our general [national] fraternity,” senior Chapter President Sean Meehan said. Meehan listed alcohol awareness training, community service and strict adherence to the guidelines of the suspension as some of the requisites of Beta’s sanctions.”This past fall Beta was again recognized as a Colgate organization” Meehan said, “and we accepted 58 new members.” Although the house was allowed to accept new members, the five-semester alcohol prohibition was still in effect. At the end of the fall semester Colgate made it clear that, pending the approval of the national office, they were willing to start reinstating the houses’ social privileges. After a two-month application process, Beta Theta Pi National met with chapter leaders this February to grant approval and discuss Beta’s future. As a result, the Beta fraternity is now recognized, though on “suspended status” for the rest of the semester. The house remains on general alcohol suspension, but may now host catered parties. “This semester the chapter is permitted as many social events as they would like,” Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Kelly Opipari said, “provided that the men utilize a third-party vendor to sell and distribute any alcoholic beverages.” The chapter is also permitted to host unlimited events at a third-party location as long as such plans are approved by Colgate and the national office.On April 22, Beta will exercise its new-found freedom when the house hosts its first Beta Beach Party in 30 months. Upperclassmen may remember the famous tradition in which mountains of sand are dumped into Beta’s backyard amongst tiki torches and tropical huts. “Around 1,600 people came to the last Beta Beach in 2002,” Meehan said. “We are expecting around 2,000 this April.” Barring any infractions, the fraternity will receive full privileges next fall, though they will remain on probation for another three years. Normalization of relations between Colgate and the Beta house has been a rewarding achievement for both parties. The chapter has returned to full size and has begun to operate in a manner that inspires praise from Colgate officials. “Beta Theta Pi has become an exemplary men’s organization,” Opipari said. “Colgate is pleased to recognize their growth over the past year and a half.”