Campus Covered in Creativity During Arts Fest

One may have noticed a few changes around campus lately: a rainbow of lights illuminating the quad, a plethora of groups and activities invading the O’Connor Campus Center (COOP), ice sculptures, multicolored buttons, free food, student performances and a host of other effects. It’s all a part of the second annual student Arts! Festival, which is being held in conjunction with Winterfest and sponsored by the Colgate Activities Board (CAB). It started on Valentine’s Day and will run through Saturday the 19th.Additionally, CUTV has been airing student and anime films throughout the week in the spirit of the festivities. The festival is not only a celebration, but an opportunity to promote a greater awareness and appreciation of the creative arts at Colgate. The festivities began with a Valentine’s Day treat for both single and taken girls alike, as they were serenaded by the men of the Colgate 13. All 23 members of the group were present, dressed in collared shirts, black jackets and jeans that complemented the intimate setting of the COOP.Before an attentive audience, two sets were performed that included such beloved classics as “Is She Really Going Out With Him,” “In Your Eyes,” “So In Love,” “It’s All Right” and “Under the Boardwalk.” In addition to the crooners’ acting out fun mini-skits, attendees were also graced by a visit from the god of love himself, “Rude Cupid” of Eros Island. Rude Cupid flung candy like it was an arrow from his bow, or as senior member Matt Brogan put it, “a missile,” into the audience while stripping layers of his diaper. The group closed out their concert with their signature “Goodbye Medley.”The following evening, Open Mic Night showcased Colgate students’ musical talent as participants rocked the Edge Caf?e audience into a melodic high. The first musician to take the stage was junior Greg Beyer, who gave audiences a guitar, harmonica and vocal solo. Beyer performed old favorites such as “Real Love,” “I Don’t Want 2 Spoil the Party” and “Tell Me Why.” Other noteworthy performers included sophomore Mike Cook with guitar and vocals, a solo by sophomore event coordinator Dan Moisio and a 6-man band comprising of drums, bass, piano and vocals. Group members including Moisio, classmate Matthew Skrzynski, and first-years Alex Fullam and David Goodrich performed the songs “The Weight,” “What I Got,” “Soul to Squeeze” and “Knocking on Heaven’s Door.” They were subsequently joined by sophomore Don Boyajian to finish the event with instrumentals.Moisio was happy with how the event transpired and its turnout. “I thought it was the best one I’ve been to in my Colgate career,” he said. “The sound was great there was a huge crowd and the mood of the people was solid.”Wednesday continued the Arts! Festival celebration. It started with an exciting evening at the Edge Caf?e. Release Night was truly a night of expression with acts that ranged from poems and lyrics to song and guitar. The evening began with the laid-back jazzy music one would expect to find in a smoky lounge, which created a relaxing mood for attendees to unwind and dine before participants took the stage. In the role of host, Tyrone Russell ’03 educated new audiences on the proper way to welcome guests to the stage.Upon introduction by brief description and name, audiences were instructed to snap their fingers and say “releassssse,” stressing the consonant “s” to phonetically imitate the release of pent-up pressure, while holding applause until the conclusion. But throughout the night, the audience did not seem to be able to refrain from applauding at the introduction, to the mock frustration of the host. It provided humorous scenes in which Russell would demand a retake until the audience got it right.Russell “broke the ice” by being the first to perform. “Someone has to get up here and make a fool of himself so y’all will feel comfortable up here,” he said. Junior Sylvia Smith, a talented poet, graced the stage twice with a reading of the profoundly beautiful poems “Black Love” and “Ghettobird Address” – both tributes to her African heritage. Next to take the stage was sophomore Nzinga Job, who blew audiences away with her stunning vocals. Subsequent acts of expression included original poetry by Vivi, lyrics by playwright Wil, a.k.a. “Flame,” and an untitled poem by Kaya.”I wrote this when I was on a train in New York City,” she said. “I had lost a relationship, but also gained someone new in my life who helped me get through thatThe night concluded with three minutes of open mic for any audience member burning for a turn at self-expression. Getting his bass from his room, Boyajian took this opportunity to release through his music. “I’m not good at expressing myself with words,” he said into the microphone with the hope that the audience will understand him through his music. Another audience member took the time to scream – a simple act that does a world of good in releasing tension. Release Night is not limited to Arts! Week but is a monthly event with variable locations.The good times extended beyond the Edge. Students, who are constantly preoccupied with the hustle and bustle of Colgate life, were given a chance to relax at the Winterfest Luau sponsored by CAB Special Events. Whether vigorously studying, printing off a night’s worth of reading or simply checking e-mail, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. students could partake in the abundance of goodies that the luau provided.The study break was held in the O’Connor Campus Center’s TV room, which was given a quick makeover for the night’s event. Tiki masks, bright decorations and a palm tree, which was suspended from the ceiling, gave the study lounge a tropical-like atmosphere, contrasting the rather dismal winter weather outside. The luau was made complete with soothing Hawaiian-style music playing in the background. Tables of cookies, chips, pretzels, fruit roll-ups, assorted Valentine’s candies, sub sandwiches and pizza were provided free of charge to relieve student’s studying strains.