Take Advantage Of Arts! Week

The eyes of the world were on New York City this week, as “The Gates,” the highly anticipated creation of artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude, which outfits Central Park in saffron-colored fabric, was unveiled and met with crowds of thousands. But who needs Christo and Jeanne-Claude when we’ve got Matt Brogan? Brogan, a senior, is the coordinator of Colgate’s second annual Arts! Festival, the week-long celebration of music, theater, and the fine arts that has consumed the campus this week. Ice sculptures beautified by a rainbow’s spectrum of colored lights adorn the quad. Student performers are spicing up dinner at The Edge. Today alone, there are two theater workshops, a Colgate architecture walking tour, a student exhibition and open house at Little Hall, the second night of the Vagina Monologues at the Palace, and a night cap of karaoke at the Creative Arts House (see the campus calendar at www.colgate.edu for the complete schedule). “It’s difficult enough to promote one event at Colgate,” said Brogan. “Try 20! We have some holes where people aren’t too sure what’s going on. But in general, everyone knows it’s Arts! Festival and, somewhere, something is happening.” Eighteen different student organizations, from the Brothers to the Anime Club, leant a hand in making the Arts! Festival possible. But while the students are the driving force behind the festivities, the administration, should certainly be commended for its backing of the Colgate Arts! Initiative, the umbrella group that put the week’s events together. At a school obsessed with the liberal arts, a week dominated by the fine and performing arts is a welcome change. The Arts! Festival has done for Colgate what “The Gates” has done for New York: it has made art a public spectacle for all to enjoy.We should all find a way to fit an event or two or three of the Arts! Festival into our weekend plans. It only comes around once a year.