Wat U Heard Bout Me?

Wat U Heard Bout Me?

Rumors spun quicker than the rims on 50’s Bentley this week, as campus buzzed with news that the popular rap group G-Unit would be performing here over Spring Party Weekend. Unfortunately, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, Young Buck and Tony Yayo will be lighting the roof on fire some place else, because the rumors have been confirmed as false.Word of the possible concert commenced Sunday, as a posting on the “Tours” section of the 50 Cent website listed an April 8 show at Colgate. Students turned to the Student Government Association (SGA), the administration and Greek life members to discover details about the event, but all campus organizations denied extending such an invitation. This confusion spurred new rumors, many of which cited Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE) as privately funding the rappers. Once this was publicly denied, word spread that 50 was coming to Colgate free of charge as a promotional concert for his new album, that Banks was performing a solo show and that the concert was meant to be a surprise until SPW. Director of the Center of Leadership and Student Involvement (CLSI) Corey Landstrom confirmed these allegations were false, but said he was “interested in how the University showed up on the website.”After numerous (unreturned) phone calls to G-Unit’s record label, Interscope Records, no answer has been found for why and how Colgate appeared on the site. “[The posting] may have been a technical error, it may have been a hack, we’re not sure,” SGA Vice-President senior Casey McCormack said. “All we know is that it’s not there anymore.”By Monday morning, the erroneous listing was erased from the site and by Thursday the entire “Tours” section was blank. Although it would have been fun to compare bling and Teflon vests with the group, its asking price is too extravagant for SPW funds. “[50] costs over $100,000, which would exhaust the Student Activities Budget,” McCormack said.The good news, however, is that other popular bands are currently being booked for this year’s SPW. Although Broad Street won’t be lined with Escalades and Impalas, the true plans look to provide another fun-filled and exciting weekend.