Raider Track Places Seventh At PLCs

The men’s and women’s track teams both placed seventh last weekend at the Patriot League Championships, held at Lehigh. The women were lead by sophomore Hannah Failing, who earned all-Patriot League honors by finishing second in the mile, while the men’s Distance Medley Relay team finished third to earn a Patriot League medal.The men’s track team saw several strong performances by their athletes on Saturday to earn the Raiders a total of six points. Sophomore Mike Hanlon ran the 5,000m in a time of 14:59.49, leading for most of the race before getting passed on the final lap in route to a fifth-place finish. Hanlon’s performance was good enough to earn the Raiders two points. Hanlon, along with classmate Don Boyajian, are both qualified for the IC4A Championships that will be held on March 5 and 6 at Boston University. Senior Jon Cook and first-year Harrison Newman also scored for the Raiders on Saturday. Cook earned 4,217 points in the heptathlon to place fifth at the meet, while Newman jumped 6’1.25″ in the high jump to earn fifth place for the Raiders. On Sunday, the Raiders saw some impressive performances from their relay teams. The Distance Medley Relay team of Hanlon, sophomore John Gillespie, and juniors Nate Rosenthal and Dan Ellis ran a time of 10:22.72. Head coach Art McKinnon called the performances turned in by the four runners the “highlight of the meet.” The third-place finish, the men’s highest finish of the meet, earned six points for the Raiders. The Raider relay squad had to overcome an injury to first-year Thomas Dilworth, who usually runs the 400m leg for the Raiders. Ellis offered to fill Dilworth’s spot, and in the process earned some high praise from his coach. “Dan’s attitude to volunteer is what has made this team special this year,” McKinnon said. The Raiders 4x400m relay also preformed well at the Patriot League Championships. The team of Boyajian and first-years Terrance Dilworth, Andy Holway and Osato Ukponmwan earned fourth place in the event for Colgate. The team came in just .25 seconds behind third-place Lehigh. Ukponmwan and sophomore Geoff Bean also earned individual points for the Raiders, as Ukponmwan finished sixth in the 400m with a time of 51.94, while Bean place sixth in the 60m dash in a time of 7.12.The men’s team, with the exception of Hanlon and Boyajian, who will prepare for the IC4A Championships, will take some time off before they start training for the outdoor track season. The Raider women’s team finished in seventh place, just one point behind Lafayette. Colgate had an unlucky break when the Lehigh 4x400m team was disqualified, allowing Lafayette to pick up two points and bump the Raiders out of sixth position. Head coach Laura Nardelli noted that, “We were hoping for a higher finish, but other teams were deeper and they took advantage of it.”On the first day of competition, junior Lisa Germain finished fourth in the long jump with a leap of 17’4.25”. First-year Kathryn Marvel ran the 5,000m run in 18:23.88, finishing in sixth place and earning one point for the Raiders. The Raiders’ 4x800m team of Failing, first-year Abby Chapman, sophomore Nicole Christoforo and junior Sarah Hildebrand finished in fifth place for Colgate. Their time of 9:21.03 was good enough to qualify them for the IC4A Championships and break the all-time Colgate record. On the second day of competition, Failing had the highest finish of any Colgate athlete at the Patriot League Championships. Failing finished second, losing only to all-American Keira Carlstrom of American in the mile with an ECAC Championships-qualifying time of 5:07.21.Failing was back on the track on Sunday to compete in the Distance Medley Relay along with Chapman, Christoforo and sophomore Kaitlyn Fitzpatrick. The women placed third in an ECAC-qualifying time of 12:32.88, as Failing ran a 5:06 mile to bring the Raiders back from sixth position to earn the team six points. Christoforo was not done, as she ran the 500m dash in a time of 1:18.94, earning third place, and also ran a leg of the 4x400m meter relay along with Chapman, Germain and sophomore Mary Pratt. The team finished in a time of 4:11.38, placing them fifth. The women’s qualifiers will compete in the ECAC Championships in Boston on March 5 and 6.