Hamilton For The Holidays Tree Lighting

Colgate and Hamilton community members celebrated the beginning of the holiday season.

Colgate students and residents of Hamilton gathered around a large evergreen last Friday, November 30 at the annual Christmas Tree Lighting on the Village Green. The event was part of the “Hamilton’s Hearth Home for the Holidays” series co-sponsored by the Hamilton Business Alliance and Student Government Association. At 6 p.m., two students from Hamilton Central School, one in kindergarten and one in the fourth grade, turned on the tree lights and kicked off the evening.

Sophomore Elise Kennedy said she enjoyed being around the elementary school kids.

“The Christmas tree lighting was a really nice way for the Hamilton community and the Colgate community to come together,” Kennedy said. “It was fun to see kids running around in their snow gear as everyone waited for the tree to be lit. And when the lights finally turned on, it was a perfect way for everyone in .032.the community to celebrate the upcoming holiday together.”

After the tree was lit, the crowd lined up for hot cocoa and baked goods provided by local business, such as Flour and Salt, the Rye Berry Bakery and others.

Junior Margaret Pulte said her favorite part was the cocoa.

“I look forward to that cocoa all year,” said Pulte. “It’s the perfect amount of sweetness when you’re standing in the cold.”

There were also bonfire pits for kids to roast marshmallows to make s’mores or warm their hands after playing in the snow, and the streets surrounding the green were lit with wreaths and lights.

The event also featured live music by the Canastota Community Band and included horse-drawn wagon rides.

Sophomore Greg Fucheck said the event brought the community together in a really special way.

“The tree lighting ceremony brought together so much of the Hamilton community, and was a beautiful gathering that kicked off the holiday season,” Fucheck said. “There’s simply no better way to get in the festive mood then to gather with fine people, enjoy some hot cocoa and fumble your way through small talk with a professor who was under the impression you had the flu. All around, it was great evening.”

Contact Laura Mucha at [email protected].