Men’s & Women’s Track Performs Well On The Road – Raiders Impress At Moravian’s Coach P. Invitational

Sophomore Lucas Culley broke his personal record and took first place in the 3,000 meter Steeplechase at the Coach P. Invitational.

On Friday, April 13 and Saturday, April 14, the Colgate men’s and women’s track teams traveled to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania to compete in the Coach P. Invitational hosted by Moravian College. Both the men’s and the women’s team produced impressive results at the meet. 

An especially impressive performance came from sophomore Lucas Culley. Culley won the 3,000 meter Steeplechase at the Invitational. Culley finished the race with a personal record time of 9:49.41, surpassing his previous best by 2.5 seconds. Along with Culley, five different Raiders recorded top-10 finishes this weekend. There was also a pair of top-10 finishes from the Raiders’ relay teams. 

Other top performers included senior Aidan Kutner, junior Anthony Castillo, sophomores Warren Carter, Ryan Curran, Abu Daramy-Swaray and first-years Kobi Grant and Tommy Williams. In addition to finishing first in his preliminary heat, Carter finished fifth in 110 meter hurdles with a time of 15.27 seconds. In Curran’s first career 10,000 race ever, he finished first for Colgate and seventh overall. 

Colgate’s 4×100 meter relay team of first-year Keontré Hughes, sophomore Daramy-Swaray, junior Castillo and first-year Grant finished fifth with a time of 43.20 seconds. The Raiders also had an eighth place finish in the 4×400 meter relay race with a time of 3:36.58. 

The women’s track team also produced promising results, with four different women recording personal records this past weekend. Sophomore Megan Maloney, with a throw of 31.95 meters, earned a personal record in the javelin throw, nearly four meters further than her previous personal best. 

Junior Skyler Beradi and sophomore Carly Schwartz reached personal records in the 800 meter dash and the 400 meter dash, respectively. Senior Hunter Filer also set an outdoor personal record in the pole vault at 2.90 meters.

Throughout the weekend, both sophomore Vicky Martinez and junior Marina Reilly tallied top-10 finishes for the Raiders. Running for the first time in her career, Martinez finished second in the 10,000 meter race in 40:40.35. 

Both the men and women’s team will return on Saturday, April 21 to participate in the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, N.J. 

Contact Cassie Warwick at cwarwick@colgate.edu.