Women’s Ice Hockey Wins Back-to-Back Games

The Colgate women’s hockey team had an exciting weekend, winning both of their games, a triumph that was made even sweeter because the games were won on the Raiders’ home ice at the Class of

1965 Arena.

The Raiders’ victory on Friday, February 3 against the Rensselaer Engineers proved particularly rewarding, as it was the Raiders’ seventh annual Autism Awareness Night where they raised awareness for those closely affected by autism. Both teams came out of the first period goal-less, but the Raiders led in shots on net 16-8. Early on in the second period, however, the Raiders managed to take the lead with a goal scored by junior forward Megan Sullivan, assisted by sophomore forward Shae Labbe. Shortly thereafter, Labbe echoed Sullivan with a goal of her own assisted by junior forward Shelby Perry, giving the Raiders a comfortable 2-0 lead. Junior forward Annika Zalewski scored the Raiders’ third and final goal of the game, assisted by junior forward Ellie Dicaprio and first-year defender Livia Altmann. Sophomore goalie Julia Vandyk recorded her fifth shutout of the season with 21 saves on the board, tying two former Raiders for the most shutouts by one goalie in a single season.

On Saturday, February 4, the Raiders faced Union in the Class of 1965 arena in what would prove to be another impressive win with a final score of 4-1. Sophomore forward Jessie Eldridge had a notable performance, netting two goals and becoming the first player in Raider history to score two shorthanded goals in a single game.

Early in the first period, Eldridge managed to snag the puck in the Raiders’ defensive zone and skated the puck to Union’s end to net her first goal. After Eldridge’s first goal, Union first-year forward Haley Shugart managed to score a goal against Vandyk, tying the score at 1-1 at the end of the

first period.

The second period opened with the Raiders determined to take back their lead. Eldridge quickly scored her second shorthanded goal, assisted by junior defender Kaila Pinkney. With just five minutes left in the second period, Labbe scored the Raider’s second unanswered goal, assisted by Sullivan, against the Dutchwomen.

With half of the third period remaining, sophomore forward Bailey Larson scored the Raiders’ fourth and final goal of the game off a rebound shot by Sullivan during a power play. The Raiders’ pace of play was exemplified by the recorded shots on net: Vandyk made 15 saves while Union goalie Kate Spooner recorded 42 saves.

“We’re getting down to the the end of the season, and every game matters for us. This was a big weekend to keep momentum moving forward, and we did that. But as nice as it is to get those two wins it’s time to turn the page and move onto next weekend as four more important points are on the line for us,” Eldridge said of the weekend’s victories.

The Raiders travel to Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island on February 10 for what is sure to be a competitive game. The game begins at 6 p.m.

Given the Raiders recent success on the ice, it will be interesting to see if they can continue this ride into the postseason, where they will hopefully capture an ECAC title. The Raiders have done a phenomenal job this season in the offensive zone, both in possessing the puck and creating scoring opportunities. If they keep  their momentum, they will certainly be

title contenders.