SAA Announces Expanded 2022 Fall Fest

The Student Activities Association (SAA) has planned Fall Fest for the weekend of Saturday, October 29 from 5-9 p.m. at the former Starr Rink. This year, Taste of Hamilton has been incorporated into Fall Fest, which has traditionally been a separate event.

Activities will include inflatable games, pumpkin painting, a photo booth and more. Students can also enjoy food samples, according to SAA Traditions Committee Co-Director, junior Joudenie Germain.

“SAA normally hosts events annually for Fall Fest,” Germain said. “This semester my Traditions Co-Director and I believe it would be a good idea to merge two traditions: Fall Fest and Taste of Hamilton.”

SAA is a student-run group on campus and members have the freedom to create events that are student-initiated and appealing to most of the student population, according to the University website.

“SAA is the primary event-planning organization on campus so we plan a majority of events that vary in nature,” Germain said. “Our events range from late-night events like bingo and Midnight Movies to entertainment events like concerts.”

SAA traditionally plans Taste of Hamilton as an independent event, but thought it would be exciting to incorporate it into Fall Fest this year for a special seasonal twist, according to SAA Traditions Committee Co-Director, junior Lara Koelliker.

“Classic dishes as well as fall-related treats will be incorporated this year now that Taste of Hamilton is taking place during or as a part of Fall Fest,” Koelliker said. “It’s also so beautiful this time of year and we thought enjoying local foods in addition to fall classics provided by outside vendors, such as apple cider and doughnuts, would be particularly exciting and enjoyable.”

In deciding to combining Fall Fest and Taste of Hamilton, SAA wanted to enhance the experience for students this year, according to SAA Entertainment Committee Director, sophomore Elsa O’Brien.

“Fall Fest is a set of SAA events occurring around Halloween,” O’Brien said. “It’s been a thing for a couple years, but SAA really wanted to elevate it for 2022. It was really important for us to have a well-organized, presentable schedule for Fall Fest, so keep an eye out for the collective calendar.”

To ensure that everyone can attend each event, none of the Fall Fest events will occur at the same time, according to O’Brien. Announcements via the SAA Instagram are forthcoming and will detail the event more specifically. As well, SAA plans to put up flyers with more information as the date for Fall Fest gets closer.

“For the first time ever, SAA is excited to announce that we will be hosting a Fall Fest concert,” O’Brien said. 

According to O’Brien, the concert will in co-sponsorship with the Student Government Association, Afrikan Diaspora House, Blue Diamond Society, Brothers of Colgate, Black Student Union, Creative Arts Society, Lambda, Latin American Student Organization, Delta Upsilon, Phi Delta Theta and Delta Delta Delta. 

“We’re going to announce the amazing artist very soon, so stay tuned,” O’Brien said. “To say the least, just about everyone will recognize the name.”

The concert will be located at Wesley M. Cotterell Court, which is in the Wendt Wing of the Reid Athletic Center.

A spokesperson from SAA noted that the organization is not yet able to release the name of the headlining performer until advertising-related contract negotiations are finalized. The Colgate Maroon-News will share updates with the Colgate community once more information becomes available.