Brief: Office of Equity and Diversity Announces Staffing, DEI Plan Updates

Vice President for Equity and Inclusion Renee Madison emailed the Colgate University community on Sept. 6 about updates to the Office of Equity and Diversity (OED), including staffing changes and a commitment to updating the office’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Plan.

“The OED leads Colgate’s strategic work to build and foster an inclusive campus climate that empowers all members of our community,” Madison wrote. “We do this by valuing our diverse and intersecting identities and affiliations. The office also oversees and ensures compliance with policies and laws relating to Title IX, equitable access, disability support, affirmative action, discrimination, and harassment.”

Madison also introduced new OED staff members. The OED hired Amy Gordon as Title IX Coordinator, Amari Simpson as Director for Diversity and Equity, and Ew Quimbaya-Winship as OED Investigator. Madison also re-introduced Director for Inclusion and Belonging Rodney Agnant, Assistant to the Vice President Kelly Snyder, and Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity Ani Maitra. 

“I encourage you to reach out to these individuals with questions or invitations for collaboration,” Madison wrote. 

Madison also shared that the Office of Student Disability Services (OSDS) is officially part of the OED, though their offices will remain in the Center for Learning, Teaching and Research (CLTR) in Lathrop Hall. 

“This move assists with the strategic alignment of the OSDS and its continued support to ensure equitable access for all students as a key feature of diversity and inclusivity,” Madison wrote.

Madison shared the OED’s intent to update Colgate’s DEI Plan, which was last altered in Nov. 2019.

These DEI updates follow the Supreme Court’s June decision ruling affirmative action unconstitutional in the college admissions process. An email update from President Brian W. Casey on Aug. 30 promised the continuation of Colgate’s holistic review approach and financial aid programs in addition to new outreach efforts.

“The Court’s decision […] calls upon us to further explore the ways in which Colgate can continue to attract a talented and diverse student body,” Casey wrote.

In connection to the Supreme Court’s ruling and Casey’s update, Madison explained that the DEI Plan is a living document that needs to adapt and evolve to reach Colgate’s Third Century goals.

“[The] OED will meet with students, faculty and staff, departments, relevant governance and advisory committees, and their representatives to draft the next iteration of the ‘DEI Plan.’ We intend to finish the draft by the end of the fall semester and provide open forums in the spring semester for those who wish to provide additional feedback before finalizing the ‘Plan’ after spring break,” Madison said.