Women’s Field Hockey Goes 0-2 On Weekend: Raiders Look to Get First Win at Bucknell

Sophomore goalkeeper Maria Krull keeps her head down during 9-0 loss to Boston University and tallies 11 saves. 

This past weekend, the women’s field hockey team was back at Tyler’s Field, defending their home turf against the Boston University Terriers on Saturday and the Rider University Broncs on Sunday. Despite the best efforts of the Raiders, they were unsuccessful in both campaigns, first falling 9-0 to Boston University Saturday and then losing 6-1 to Rider University on Sunday. At the weekend’s conclusion, Colgate’s record stood at 0-10, and their Patriot League record dropped to 0-2. 

The Raiders came out on Saturday enthusiastic about defending their home turf, putting themselves to the grind to defend their home field against Boston University. However, the Terriers arrived ready to challenge the home team, opening the game by putting a point on the board within the first ten minutes when junior forward Taylor Blood found the back of the net in the game’s ninth minute. The Terriers found an opportunity to double their lead when they were afforded a penalty stroke. The penalty was taken by junior midfielder Hester van der Laan in the 16th minute, who was successful in widening the visitor’s goal margin. In the 25th minute, sophomore midfielder Grace Boston scored her third goal of the season on a hard shot from the top of the circle. Blood closed out the scoring not long after for the first half by snagging BU their fourth goal in the 32nd minute. 

Ten minutes into the second half, van der Laan scored on yet another penalty stroke, which was followed not long after by a goal from freshman forward Kara Enoch, her first of the season. Two more points came for BU from senior midfielder Sofi Laurito and junior forward Sara Martineau in the 57th and 63rd minutes, respectively. Junior forward Madeline McClain closed out the scoring for the Terriers in the 65th minute. Though the Raiders never managed to get on the board, sophomore goalkeeper Maria Krull had 11 saves, tallying double digits for the sixth game in a row and seventh game overall. Freshman keeper Jacqueline Li had one save during her second appearance of the season. This victory left BU’s record at 6-2, and their Patriot League record at 2-0. 

On Sunday, the Raiders once again fought hard despite a quick turnaround when they went up against Rider University. Throughout the first half of the first period, the Raiders were able to hold off the Broncs’ advances, until the visiting team scored a quick succession of goals in a five minute span. The first goal was scored by sophomore forward Allison Baligian in the 17th minute, her first of the season. This was followed by goals from sophomore forward Shannon Hughes in the 19th minute and junior midfielder Carlota Alsina in the 21st. The score held until the fiftieth minute, when Baligian scored again on a penalty stroke. Shortly following, freshman forward Angie Price snagged another goal for the Broncs in the 57th minute. Just a minute later, sophomore midfielder Cady Kopsky put the Raiders on the board, scoring her first goal of the season. In the 59th minute, sophomore forward deflected a shot from junior forward Carlie Spaeder, scoring the game’s final point. This victory put the Broncs at 7-2 and the Raiders at 0-10. 

Despite the difficulties the Raiders faced this weekend and so far in the season as a whole, Krull remains unfazed and is confident about the future.

“We have a tough Patriot League schedule ahead of us, but we are up for the challenge,” said Krull.

Next weekend, the Raiders are back on the road to take on the Bucknell Bison in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania on Saturday, October 3. This upcoming contest will be the team’s third Patriot League game of the season. Hopefully the Raiders will be able to turn their ailing season around in their remaining games. The Raiders still have time to salvage their season.