Field Hockey Falls Twice on the Road: Raiders Continue Non-Conference Slate at Home this Weekend

The women’s field hockey team kept busy this weekend, facing off against the Bryant University Bulldogs on Saturday afternoon before taking on the Siena Saints on Sunday evening. Despite the Raiders’ best efforts, the team was unsuccessful in both campaigns, losing 4-1 to Bryant and 2-0 to Siena, putting their record at 0-4. 

Senior midfielder and captain Jessica Gardiner commented on the team’s

rocky start. 

“We are a really young team and graduated five starters, but everyone is excited to come out and practice each day and compete on the weekends. That sort of mentality is all I can really ask for,” Gardiner said. 

On Saturday, the team traveled to Providence, Rhode Island to take on the Bulldogs on their home turf. Bryant quickly gained an advantage with a goal by junior forward Elena Borovskis just two minutes into the competition. Early in the second half, junior forward Victoria Danby also scored for the Bulldogs, increasing their lead to 2-0. As the game continued, the Raiders fought back fiercely late in the second half. 

Sophomore back Molly Klare was able to slightly close the gap by scoring off a pass from Gardiner. The Bulldogs struck back by scoring twice in the span of just 63 seconds with goals by senior forward Bronwyn Walton and sophomore midfielder Keighan Richardson, respectively. At the game’s conclusion, Bryant emerged with a 4-1 victory, their first win of the season that leaves their record at 1-3. 

The Raiders stayed on the road as they traveled to Hempstead, New York to compete against Siena College. The Saints gained a foothold early in the game, scoring two goals in the first fifteen minutes and procuring a lead they were able to maintain as they held the Raiders scoreless for the remainder of the contest. 

Though the Raiders were unable to put any points on the board, sophomore midfielder Cady Kopsky upheld the offensive campaign by putting two shots on goal, while sophomore goalkeeper Maria Krull made ten impressive saves. After Siena’s two initial goals made early on, the Saints were held scoreless for the rest of the game, attesting to defensive adjustments made by the Raiders. 

Though the Raiders have struggled through their first four games, all of which have been on the road, they remain optimistic and enthusiastic regarding the

upcoming season. 

Sophomore forward Miranda Scott feels that the scores of their games so far don’t necessarily reflect the team’s dynamic. 

“Despite the setbacks, we’ve kept up the positive energy and worked well together,” Miranda said. “After two straight weekends on the road, we are really excited for our home opener next weekend.” 

While having to part with five starters this past spring has definitely presented new challenges for the team, Gardiner is confident that they will be able to find their rhythm in time for their first Patriot League matchup. This Saturday, the Raiders will host Lock Haven University in their first home game on Tyler’s Field at 1 p.m.