Lupe Fiasco to Headline Spring Party Weekend 2014

Lupe Fiasco has officially been announced as the headliner of this year’s Spring Party Weekend (SPW). The announcement has been a long anticipated one, with only three weeks left untilSPW kicks-off on April 25.

Fiasco returns to Colgate for the second time, having previously headlined SPW back in 2010. His career has continued to ascend since then, with his 2011 album, “Lasers,” having earned the number one spot on the US Billboard 200 chart. Some of his most successful singles include “The Show Goes On,” “Words I Never Said,” “Kick, Push,” “Daydreamin'” and the more recent “Battle Scars.”

Although Fiasco was not one of the options on the survey sent out back in February, the SPW Committee believed that he was a strong choice for this year’s headlining act, especially considering the short timetable they were given to acquire a performer. This delay was predominantly a result of an overall review of SPW policies and procedures. The SPW Committee held a number of open forums to address concerns that arose after last year’s event, including the January 28 forum with Hamilton Police Chief Rick Gifford and Mayor Margaret Miller. Two of the most serious issues included a stabbing that took place at a late-night event and a severely intoxicated Hamilton Central School student who was rushed to the hospital.

As a result, a number of changes will be made to this year’s events, including a more stringent guest registration policy that will allow only one non-Colgate guest for each Colgate student. Further, no guests under the age of 18 will be permitted. All SPW events will require a designated wristband and no events will be open to the general Hamilton community.

The overall budget for SPW 2014 totaled in at approximately $170,000. This is a 15 percent reduction from last year’s SPW budget. The Center for Leadership and Student Involvement (CLSI) has been working to make SPW more cost-effective so that it does not so heavily drain the student activity budget.

Since Lupe Fiasco’s performance in 2010, the SPW Committee has brought on a number of other prominent headliners, including B.O.B. in 2011, Avicii in 2012 and the Goo Goo Dolls last year.

Spring Party Weekend 2014 will officially take place from April 25 to 27, with various events to take place throughout. Although the schedule is not officially set in stone, some of the more notable events expected to take place include a SPW kick-off barbeque on Whitnall Field on Friday, Deans’ Brunch Saturday morning, a silent disco, a substance free night-life event, a Newman barbeque, water balloon painting sponsored by the Arts Institute and the Second Annual Hamilton Cleanup on Sunday morning.

Lupe’s headlining performance is expected to take place in the Sanford Fieldhouse on Saturday evening, with doors opening around 6 p.m.. No opening performer has been confirmed at this point, but it is likely to be a student act.

The SPW Committee will make its own official announcement this evening and provide more concrete details surrounding the weekend’s events.

Contact Cody Semrau at [email protected].