In The Light: Jill Goltzer

Senior Jill Goltzer, from New York City, is a double concentrator in philosophy and religion, with an interest in biology. Not only is she deeply dedicated to her academic success, Goltzer has taken initiative in Colgate student life.

She is the co-leader of the FUSE Dance Company and Kuumba Dance Troupe, a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority, Colgate Dance Initiative, Sexual Climate Advisory Committee and Bystander Intervention Committee, a facilitator of the Yes Means Yes mini workshops, a coordinator of One Billion Rising flash mob and she is involved with Colgate Advocates for Positive Sexuality.

Goltzer knew exactly what she was looking for in her college experience as she went on the quest to find the ideal university. Like many other students at Colgate, Goltzer enjoys the small liberal arts community, but also believes Colgate has an atmosphere similar to a big university. More importantly, Goltzer found Colgate to possess qualities that are not always present elsewhere.

“Most of all, I was drawn to Colgate by the strong sense of camaraderie among the students,” Goltzer said. “Everyone here is so proud to be a member of the Colgate community; I found that sort of spirit to be extremely appealing and I knew that I wanted to be a part of it.”

Goltzer’s extracurricular involvement began at the activities fair when she was a first-year.

“I remember walking around at the activities fair the fall of my first year and signing up for at least 15 different things. Each group I joined introduced me to new people who then introduced me to new activities,” she said.

Goltzer cherishes her involvement in dance at Colgate. Her initial interest stemmed from Walfrey Lim’s ’11 performance at “In Your Company” during her orientation.

“That’s how I decided to audition for FUSE, which I can confidently say is the best thing to happen to me at Colgate,” Goltzer said.

A particularly influential part of Goltzer’s Colgate experience resides in her love to dance and witnessing the impact it has on the Colgate student body.

“Being so involved in Dancefest every semester has had a huge impact on my Colgate experience. On those nights, the energy in the Chapel is so incredible and always reminds me why I love this school!”