SGA Business: March 13, 2014

Last week, Dean of Residential Facilities and Administration Brenda Ice and Associate Dean of the College Susan Smith spoke to Senators about the future of housing vis-??-vis Colgate’s Residential Learning Communities. Senators also approved the Grapplers Club, which aims to practice Jiu-Jitsu, a form of martial arts.

Vice President of SGA senior Matt Haley met with Provost and Dean of the Faculty Douglas Hicks and Associate Professor of Russian Ian Helfant about mid-semester review forms and online syllabi. They both expressed their support and interest despite the initiative’s original failing when first attempted a few years ago.

Speaker of the Senate junior Philip Steinberg liaised with members of Outdoor Education (OE) to develop a system in which students are permitted to rent sleds for $1.00, with a loss or damage fee of $8.00. Sled rentals should be made available soon and will be announced through a Colgate Campus Distribution.

Chair of the External Affairs Committee (EAC) junior Cameron Costa met with the Facilities Department to discuss some perceived problems with the current system to remove snow and ice.

This week, SGA Historian sophomore Kegan Thompson met with the Buildings and Grounds Department to discuss the installation of urinal bulls-eye stickers. Thompson also met with Director of Sodexo Dining Services George Murray about the installation of a television screen in the O’Connor Campus Center (COOP).

Policy Coordinator senior Albert Raminfard continued to plan the second “Fireside Chat,” for after spring break, which will provide students with an opportunity to take a break from studying and to enjoy treats from the Barge Canal.

Elections Commissioner senior Margaretta Burdick has started an initiative to put a microwave in the Case-Geyer Library Hieber Caf?e that is available for student use.

Chair of the Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) senior Amy Daniels has also started a new initiative to reduce the amount of reading assigned in each class.

Chair of the Student Affairs Committee (SAC) sophomore Hunter Hillman spoke with University Librarian Joanne Schneider about an initiative to encourage Case-Geyer Library to provide students with a list of DVDs and videos available for rent. Hillman also contacted Murray of Sodexo, to inquire whether students’ meal plans may be expanded to include meals purchased at Donovan’s Pub.

SGA Officers  hold  office  hours in the Center for Leadership and Student Involvement from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Thursdays. Please stop by to voice your concerns, ask questions and provide feedback for SGA. We wish you an enjoyable and safe Spring break.

Contact Natalie Pudalov at [email protected].