Women’s Hockey Battles No. 3 Cornell to OT Loss

Last weekend the women’s ice hockey team faced their No. 5 ranked rival Cornell, unfortunately falling short in both games to end the week with two losses. Both games were close decisions, the first ending at 4-3 in overtime with just 19 seconds remaining and the second staying competitive the whole time but ending with a score of 3-1.

Despite a hard-fought and close first game of the weekend, Colgate did not manage to come out on top. The Cornell Big Red took the first lead of the day on a penalty shot after a tripping call on the Raiders. Then, about halfway through the first period, junior Miriam Drubel tied up the game with the help of sophomore Nicole Gass and senior Megan Wickens. Drubel took a quick shot from the left circle after connecting with Wickens, firing the puck into the net to bring the score to 1-1.

With 11:08 remaining in the second period, Cornell’s Emily Fulton drove the net and regained the lead for the Big Red. However, Colgate made it even yet again at the end of the frame. Senior Taylor Volpe was open at the far post to tip in a shot by Wickens, tying the game 2-2 with 48 seconds remaining in the period.

The Raiders gained their first lead of the game 1:35 into the final period.

Volpe received the puck from junior Melissa Kueber, and then approached the net and ripped a shot past Cornell goalie Lauren Slebodnick. Volpe’s second goal of the day gave Colgate a 3-2 advantage early in the third period. Unfortunately the Big Red kept pushing and ultimately tied up the game with 3:18 left, bringing the contest to a five-minute overtime. After one final rush during overtime, Cornell’s Jillian Saulnier found an opportunity to score her game-winning goal, giving the Big Red a 4-3 win over the Raiders.

The following day, the Raiders hit the road and headed to Ithaca to take on the Big Red again, unfortunately coming out with another close loss. 5:15 into the first period, Saulnier put Cornell on the scoreboard after firing a shot past sophomore goalie Ashlynne Rando. 

Early in the second period, Colgate answered with a goal from Kueber to tie the game at 1-1. However, Cornell came back with another point on the board just two minutes later thanks to a goal by Alyssa Gagliardi. With the score at 2-1, Cornell racked up another point about six minutes later, despite having a player in the penalty box, securing a two-point lead.

In the final frame, Colgate did everything in their power to come back, ripping a total of 15 shots, but the team was unfortunately unable to find the back of the net, ultimately giving Cornell a 3-1 win.    

“Losing both games to Cornell was tough, but we have to be strong and keep our heads up because we have some important games coming up,” Drubel commented on the importance of the rest of the season. “Cornell is a very skilled team but we were outplaying them at times, so I think these games further prove that when we play hard and smart we can compete with some of the best teams in the country.”

“Looking ahead I think we just have to take it one game at a time. As a team we are ready to prepare and put the work in to get the wins we need to make the playoffs,” Drubel added.

This weekend, the Raiders will hit the road to take on Rensselaer and Union. Colgate will play Rensselaer on Friday at 7 p.m. and Union on Saturday at 4 p.m.

Contact Jack Murray at [email protected].