In The Light: Carlie Wetzel

Senior Carlie Wetzel from Lancaster, Penn. has taken advantage of the abundant opportunities at Colgate. A devoted student, Wetzel is also involved in a variety of activities here on campus that benefit the student body as a whole.

Wetzel concentrates in English with an emphasis in creative writing and minors in geography. Along with her academics, Wetzel fills her time with many extracurricular activities.

Over her four years at Colgate, she has participated in a variety of groups. She has held the roles of Editor-in-Chief of the Colgate Portfolio, Living Writers Intern, English Department office assistant, Club Tennis Captain, First-Year Community Leader and lifeguard, and she has also been a member of Hamilton Central Tutoring, Let’s Get Ready (SAT prep course), PAC (Philanthropists at Colgate) house and Delta Delta Delta sorority.

One of Wetzel’s fondest memories was the time she spent on the 2013 spring English Study Group.

“This experience enhanced my English studies and confirmed my interest in pursuing a graduate degree in English. I also made a lot of close friends and had a very fun time!” Wetzel said.

Not unlike many other students, Wetzel’s decision to apply to Colgate was rather intuitive.

“I prepared 13 applications to colleges, but one day in December I woke up and decided to apply early decision to Colgate. I suppose it was fate!” she said.

As for her involvements outside of academics, Wetzel had previously been involved in tutoring and tennis in high school and wished to continue her passions, finding time for extras along the way.

“There are so many additional interesting opportunities at Colgate so I had to take advantage of them, and I am so glad that I was able to get so involved,” she said.

A particularly influential part of Wetzel’s Colgate experience has been her membership in Tri Delta sorority, where she has built valuable connections that will last far beyond her time at Colgate.

“I have met so many new and wonderful friends and I have had opportunities to grow and get involved in exciting ways on campus,” Wetzel said. “My sorority sisters support and motivate me to be the best student and leader I can be, and I have benefited more than I ever thought possible from joining Greek life.”