Women’s Soccer Improves to 2-0 in Patriot League

%C2%A0

The Raider women’s soccer team had yet another phenomenal team performance this weekend. The Raiders welcomed conference newcomer, the Loyola (Md.) Greyhounds, with a 3-0 battering at Van

Doren Field.

The team’s communication abilities were particularly effective as the performance on both sides of the ball was mellifluous. The Raiders jumped out to a quick start with some early scoring opportunities in the first half.

In the sixth minute, the team successfully converted on a scoring opportunity as sophomore midfielder Jenna Panepinto strategically crossed the ball over to the box where it found junior captain midfielder Emily Manoogian. Manoogian gained control of the ball and ultimately evaded Greyhounds goalkeeper leading to a quick 1-0 advantage.

The scoring opportunities continued right after the play as Manoogian saw a potential chance to quickly extend the lead. Manoogian secured possession of the ball and found sophomore forward Catherine Williams in the box. Williams was ready to take control of the cross and fire it into the goal but Greyhound senior goalkeeper Didi Haracic had other plans; she successfully intercepted Manoogian’s cross staving off an early 2-0 hole.

But the Raiders took advantage of yet another opportunity in the 25th minute. Sophomore midfielder Lexi Panepinto secured the ball on the defensive and sprinted toward the goal, all the while maintaining possession of the ball and looking for a strong chance to extend the lead. She found first-year forward Sarah Coy and crossed the ball over to her. Coy then tapped it into the goal, leading to a 2-0 advantage.

Manoogian and Williams connected once again in the 34th minute, this time successfully converting a scoring opportunity. Manoogian was able to weave her way through the box and find Williams. She fed the ball over to Williams, who avoided Haracic and fired it to the goal, giving the Raiders a fiery 3-0 lead.

The Raiders finished the first half with a 3-0 advantage, leaving Loyola seemingly perplexed with the sudden deficit.

The Greyhounds attempted to respond to the deficit with some quick scoring opportunities early in the second half. However, the Raider defense held tough and maintained its composure, thereby deflecting these opportunities and averting any chance of losing its early lead.

The Greyhounds secured a strong chance to minimize the deficit in the 63rd minute. They attempted to take advantage of a free kick close to Colgate’s own goal. Yet the Raiders kept their composure and deflected the free kick. First-year defender Emily Pullen saved the day, deflecting the ball’s path and maintaining the 3-0 advantage.

The Raider defense continued to dominate throughout the second half as Loyola desperately attempted to eliminate the 3-0 deficit. The goaltending efforts of first-year Brenna Mason and sophomore Erin Cummings provided yet another solid line of defense against Loyola and both were instrumental in the shutout.

Colgate maintained its lead throughout the remainder of the second half, even attempting to successfully convert several more scoring opportunities.

The win gives Colgate a 2-0 record in conference play, which is good for a three-way tie for first place in the Patriot League, along with Navy and American University.The Raiders continue conference play on Wednesday at Army and Saturday at Navy.

Contact Matthew Washuta at [email protected]