Men’s Hockey Begins Season With Homestand

This past weekend, the Raiders opened up the 2013-14 season at Starr Rink with a pair of games against Ferris State. After dropping an offensive battle 7-4 on Saturday, the Raiders rebounded Sunday with a 1-0 victory.

Returning four of the team’s top five scorers from the previous season, the Raiders took the ice Saturday with high hopes. The Raiders quickly got on the board, getting a goal from sophomore Mike Borkowski. The goal came just 5:48 into the first period and was assisted by sophomore Darcy Murphy and junior Joe Wilson. Just under two minutes later, first-year Andrew Black scored his first collegiate goal getting assists from junior John Lidgett and senior Mike McCann. After killing off two penalties later in the period by Murphy and Lidgett, the Raiders headed into the locker room after one up 2-0.

Ferris State responded early in the second period tallying their first goal just four minutes in to cut the lead in half. With sophomore Ryan Johnston in the penalty box for interference halfway through the period, Ferris State tied the game up on the power play. Just over three minutes later, they tallied another giving them their first lead of the game, one they would carry into the third period.

The Raiders wasted no time once they returned from intermission. Just 58 seconds into the frame the Raiders top line got going and sophomores Tylor Spink and Kyle Baun found fellow sophomore Tyson Spink who scored, tying up the game at 3. After a Ferris State penalty a mere 14 seconds later, the Raiders went on the power play. Baun and Borkowski found Tylor Spink this time who scored 39 seconds into the power play and put the Raiders back on top 4-3.

The Raiders, however, could not keep their composure on defense and Ferris State took advantage. Just over three minutes into the period, the Bulldogs tied the game up at 4. After a Baun slashing penalty, Ferris State converted on another power play opportunity to regain the lead at 5-4. With just over ten minutes remaining in the final frame, the Bulldogs added to their lead pushing the game nearly out of reach. With the score at 6-4, the Raiders pulled first-year goalie Charlie Finn in the final minutes in a last minute attempt to score with the extra attacker. The Bulldogs, however, found the empty net and took the contest 7-4. Finn finished with 24 saves in his first career start.

The Raiders regrouped, however, and took to the ice the next day in an attempt to redeem themselves against the same Bulldogs squad they faced the previous day. In a quiet first period, both teams fought off penalties midway through to keep the game scoreless. The second period remained very much the same, with the Raiders pressuring the Bulldogs after two early Ferris State penalties. Sophomore Charles Williams was strong in goal for the Bulldogs, fighting off the Raider attack until the Bulldogs picked up their third penalty of the second period at the 10:05 mark.

The Raiders turned to their power play and Tyson Spink and Borkowski found Baun who scored the power play goal for the Raiders just 23 seconds into the power play. The Raiders, however, spent much of the rest of the second period on the penalty kill. After killing off two penalties, the Raiders headed to the locker room with a 1-0 lead and 20 minutes to play.

In a very defensive third period, the Raiders defense held strong. Despite penalties from Black and junior Daniel Gentzler, the Raiders and senior goalie Eric Mihalik remained strong. Mihalik made 25 saves on the day, and the Raiders held on for a 1-0 victory. One of the keys to the game for the Raiders was their 5-5 success on the penalty kill. The Raiders look to take the momentum from the second game of the set as they travel to Rochester, N.Y to take on RIT

this Thursday.

Contact Spencer Serling at [email protected].