Women’s Opens League Play With Home Loss

This Family Weekend the women’s ice hockey team began the league play portion of their season with two home contests, the first against the St. Lawrence Saints and the second against the Clarkson Golden Knights. The Raiders unfortunately ended the weekend with two tough losses, falling 3-0 to St. Lawrence and 2-0 to Clarkson. The Raiders played a strong first period against the Saints, having a great opportunity to score early in the frame when senior Jocelyn Simpson connected with junior Miriam Drubel in the left faceoff circle. The Saints’ goalie managed to push Drubel’s shot to the side to keep the game scoreless.

Just 1:33 into the period, the Saints got on the scoreboard when Mel Desrochers found an opening from the top of the left faceoff circle. The Raiders attempted to tie it up when senior Taylor Volpe fired a shot on net with 12 minutes to go, but the Saints came up with another save to maintain a 1-0 lead. To close the first period, St. Lawrence gained a 2-0 lead when Rylee Smith shot glove side past sophomore goalie Ashlynne Rando. After the Saints were called for checking in the final minutes of the first period, the Raiders started the middle frame on a power play, but St. Lawrence was able to execute a tight defense and block all of Colgate’s attacks on goal despite their man-up opportunity. Soon afterwards, junior Melissa Kueber broke free towards the net, but St. Lawrence goalie Carmen MacDonald made another great stop to maintain their 2-0 lead.

In the final minutes of the second period, the Saints were awarded a man-up opportunity after a checking call on the Raiders. After Dayle Wilkinson’s shot was initially blocked, junior relief goalie Susan Allen was unable to fall on the puck before Alex Moore made the shot into the back of the net, putting the score at 3-0 heading into the final period.

Colgate had two man-up opportunities in the third period, but was unable to make good on either of them despite very strong attempts on goal. Junior defender Katie Case had the last opportunity to score with under two minutes remaining in the contest. She took a shot after receiving the puck from Kueber, but MacDonald had yet another big save to secure St. Lawrence’s 3-0 victory. The next day, Colgate faced the No. 5 team in the country, the Golden Knights. Despite a 2-0 loss, the Raiders played a phenomenal defensive game, with junior goalie Brittney Brooks making a career-high 44 saves in her first start of the year.

Clarkson started off the first period with four shots within the first two minutes, all of which were blocked by Brooks. A few minutes later, senior Stephanie Giannopoulos had a good chance on net, but the Knights goalie Erica Howe was there to make the save. 8:11 into the period, Clarkson intercepted the puck at center ice, ultimately giving Jamie Lee Rattray a shot past Brooks, giving the Golden Knights the first goal of

the game. Clarkson started off the second period on a power play after Colgate was called for slashing in the final minute of the first period, but the Raiders managed to hold off the Golden Knights and deny them a goal despite their man-up advantage. First-year Cat Quirion had a big opportunity on goal after Simpson skated down the right wing with the puck, but Howe was able to make another big save to deny the Raiders a goal.

Six minutes into the second period, the Golden Knights had another man-up opportunity after the Raiders were called for tripping, but Brooks stood strong and deflected any real chance of goal. A few minutes later, Giannapoulos intercepted the puck and had a shot on net, but Erin Ambrose slid in at the last second to make the save. After Colgate was called for two more quick penalties, Clarkson was given a 5-on-3 opportunity, but Colgate had an incredible defensive effort led by sophomore Nicole Gass to kill off Clarkson’s attempts on goal, ending the second period with the score still 1-0. About four minutes into the final period, Vanessa Plante scored a goal for Clarkson after a scramble in front of the net, giving the Golden Knights a 2-0 lead. The Raiders were given one final man-up advantage after the Golden Knights were called for interference with about nine minutes remaining in the game, but unfortunately nothing came of the opportunity. Despite a strong effort from Colgate, Clarkson ended the day with the 2-0 win. Next up, the Raiders will hit the road to face Quinnipiac and Princeton in two away contests. Colgate will play Quinnipiac on Friday, November 1 at 7 p.m. and Princeton on Saturday, November 2 at 4 p.m.   

Contact Jack Murray at [email protected].