Army Beats Men’s Lacrosse in Raiders’ First League Loss



The Raiders hosted the Army Black Knights last Sunday and despite their best efforts, they fell by a score of 10-4. Highlighting Army’s potent attack was sophomore John Glesener’s five goals.

With a noon start at sunny Andy Kerr Stadium, the Raiders hoped to capitalize and pick up the victory in one of their few home games in Patriot League play. The opening whistle blew and 18 seconds later, the ball ended up in the back of the net with a successful shot from Glesener, putting the Black Knights on the board early. The Black Knights would tally two more goals in the first period and would head into the second quarter with a 3-0 lead.

As the second quarter started, the Raiders began to apply pressure, but Army’s sophomore goalie Sam Somers was strong in net for the Black Knights and was not willing to let much by. Somers would finish the day with 13 saves. Just under five minutes into the second quarter, senior attackman Garrett Thul added his team-leading 29th goal and Glesener followed with his second of the game three minutes later to push the Black Knights lead to 5-0.

With just under four minutes to go, sophomore Ryan Walsh put the Raiders on the board, scoring his 25th goal of the season and extending his scoring streak to 26 games. Heading into halftime, the Raiders trailed 5-1, and the Black Knight defense did not look to be giving

up anything.

As the third quarter started, the Raiders looked to cut into the Black Knights’ lead, but Somers held his ground in net and two Black Knight goals later, the Raiders stared at a 7-1 deficit. Senior midfielder Connor Brown added a goal for the Raiders with two and a half minutes to go but just over a minute later, Glesener tallied his third goal of the game to extend the Army lead back to six.

Glesener continued his strong play in the fourth quarter as he tallied his 22nd goal of the year to push the lead to 9-2. First-year Eric Foote responded a minute later with his first career Colgate goal and cut the lead to 9-3, but after a Glesener goal three minutes later on the power-play, the Raider deficit appeared to be insurmountable. Foote added his second goal of the game with a minute and a half to go, and the final whistle blew ending the Raiders hopes at what would have been a

miraculous comeback.

Although senior Peter Baum led the team with nine shots, he was not able to get any of them in the back of the net, ending his points streak dating back to the 2011 season. Junior goalie Conor Murphy made eight saves and picked up the loss, while first-year Jake Danehy came in to finish off the last five minutes and registered one save while

surrendering no goals.

The Raiders hope to turn around after this loss as they travel to Bethlehem, Pa. this Saturday to take on the Lehigh Mountain Hawks in another

Patriot League battle.

Contact Spencer Serling at

[email protected].