Women’s Lacrosse Stuggles Against Holy Cross

Annie Schein

The Colgate women’s lacrosse team struggled to maintain their momentum coming off a big 19-8 win against the Binghamton Bearcats on Tuesday, March 23. They fell to the Holy Cross Crusaders 14-15 in double overtime last Saturday, March 30 while on the road in Worcester, Mass. The game had the potential to be a huge comeback for the Raiders, as they came back from a seven-goal deficit to launch the game into overtime.

Senior midfielder Amanda O’Sullivan and first-year attacker Emily Peebles were the shining stars on the offensive end in this contest, scoring four goals each — a career high for Peebles. Junior midfielder Alison Flood and sophomore midfielder Megan Ark had three and two goals, respectively, while sophomore goalkeeper Jennie Berglin made four saves.  

Holy Cross came onto the field with fire, scoring seven straight goals in the first 10 minutes. Five of those seven goals were shot in under three minutes of play. The Raiders were struggling defensively in this

seven-goal run; they were called for nine fouls, two of which resulted in free-position goals. Holy Cross also

managed to control seven of the first eight draws, giving them quick and early

possession of the ball.

After the first 10 minutes were up, however, the Raiders got their footing and scored seven goals to Holy Cross’s two, shattering the Crusader lead. The first of Colgate’s goals was scored by senior attacker Brooke Flanagan. Flood came next with back-to-back tallies, one coming from a free position opportunity. O’Sullivan recorded the next goal off another free position shot. After one more Holy Cross goal, O’Sullivan scored two more back-to-back shots. Going into halftime, the score was 9-7,

Holy Cross.

Hoping to regain their comfortable lead and take back momentum of the game, Holy Cross returned to the field scoring three straight goals. Yet, Colgate was even more determined to take control of the game, and the Raiders scored five straight goals in the span of seven minutes, tying the score at 12-12. O’Sullivan tallied her fourth and final goal of the game, while Ark scored her second and Peebles got on the board with two shots. Flanagan helped the effort with two assists, including one to Ark that tied the game with 11:35

remaining in the second half.

The remainder of the half was back and forth, with Holy Cross regaining the lead and Colgate responding at 13-12 and 14-13. Flood tied the game at 13-13, and with 1:40 left, Peebles scored her fourth goal tying the game at 14-all. This final goal by Peebles launched the game into overtime.

The raiders had chances from Flood and Ark in the first round of overtime play, but the Crusader goalie managed to deflect Ark’s shot while Flood’s went wide. In the second frame of overtime, Holy Cross capitalized on a free position shot, scoring to clinch the victory at 15-14.

Colgate returns to the field in Delaware, where they take on Delaware State at 11 a.m. on Sunday, April 7.

Contact Annie Schein at

[email protected]