Entertainment Update Your Week in Preview

English Department Poetry Series: Martha Collins

On Thursday, March 21, the English Department’s Poetry Series continues with the presentation of poet Martha Collins. The lecture will be held from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in 105 Lawrence Hall. Collins is known for her work “White Papers” and her book-length poem “Blue Front.” She is the editor at large of FIELD magazine and an editor of the Oberlin College Press. Collins has two forthcoming poetry collections to be released in 2013 and 2014, respectively. Her poetry has received much high praise and awards – the continuation of this lecture series is sure to be an excellent presentation by Collins.

Indie Film: Amour

The 2013 Academy Award “Best Foreign Language Film” winner will be shown at the Hamilton Movie Theater starting this Thursday, March 21. The showing will begin at 5:30 p.m. and tickets cost $7.75. The movie tells the story of Georges and Anne, a couple in their 80’s enjoying their retirement. Anne suffers a stroke and the film documents the struggles they face as her health declines and Georges works to continue caring for her in the comfort of their own home. Georges faces critical decisions in the light of his own unending love for Anne. Be sure to visit the movie theater for this touching, award-winning foreign film.

CAB Presents: Winter Olympics 2013

Come down to the Sanford Field House on Saturday, March 23 at 12 p.m. to watch 14 different Colgate teams compete in the annual Winter Olympics. There will be t-shirts and prizes for all participants so come down and support your friends as they compete in a variety of games.

24 Hour Burn

Head to Golden Auditorium on Saturday, March 23 at 8 p.m. to watch this year’s batch of student-written, acted and directed plays for the annual 24 Hour Burn. Participants will have from 8 p.m. on Friday night to 8 p.m. on Saturday to create and prepare original shows, so come to see what they come up with.

Live Music: Broad Street Records

Broad Street Records will be hosting student performances at the Barge this Saturday, March 23, from 8 p.m. until 10 p.m. Performances will range from jazz to rock, funk to acoustic, and many more. Broad Street Records was founded as a student organization and works to feature and promote the artistic endeavors of Colgate students – show your support for your peers and their art this weekend by visiting The Barge to see some of the performances.