Latest Faculty Promotions and Appointments Announced

Faculty appointments and promotions that were approved by Colgate’s Board of Trustees were recently announced by Provost and Dean of the Faculty Douglas A. Hicks. Eight faculty members were granted continuous tenure and promotion to associate professor, one assistant professor was promoted to full professor and three other faculty members were approved as chairs.

Two faculty members in the Department of Biology, Krista Ingram and Jason Meyers, have been granted continuous tenure and also have been promoted to associate professors. Meyers specializes in developmental biology, neurobiology and stem cells, while Ingram focuses on social behavior, tropical conservation genetics and sociogenomics. Patrick Crotty of the Physics and Astronomy Department, who focuses on astrophysics and computational neuroscience, has also been given continuous tenure and associate professor status, as has Jessica Graybill who is in the Geography Department. She specializes in physical geography and former USSR area studies.

Bruce Hansen of the Department of Psychology has also been promoted to associate professor and been granted continuous tenure. Hansen specializes in human sensation, perception and cognition. In the Department of Political Science, Manuel Teodoro has also been granted the same advancement and is now an associate professor and on the tenure track. He is currently doing the first comprehensive study of American water utility CEOs and also specializes in economic liberalization in Africa.

Vijay Ramachandran and Joel Sommers of the Department of Computer Science have both been promoted to associate professor and have been granted continuous tenure. Ramachandran is interested in algorithms as well as game theory economics. Sommers specializes in empirical measurements in order to better understand the performance and behavior of the Internet.

Amy Leventer of the Department of Geology has received a promotion and has been approved as a full professor. Leventer specializes in oceanography, Antarctic marine geology and environmental studies.

Appointments of chairs have also been announced. The appointments were confirmed by the Board of Trustees after recommendations were made by President Jeffrey Herbst and Provost and Dean of the Faculty Douglas A. Hicks in conjunction with the Dean’s Advisory Council. The Gretchen Hoadley Burke ’81 Endowed Chair in Regional Studies for one year is Associate Professor of Sociology and Anthropology Christopher Henke. Henke has been at Colgate since 2001. Kezia Page has been named as the Arnold A. Sio Chair in Diversity and Community for a period of two years. Page is an associate professor of English and has been at Colgate for the past 10 years. Professor of Mathematics and LGBTQ Studies Kenneth Valente has been named the Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Chair in Liberal Arts Studies for a three year period. He joined the Colgate faculty in 1987.

Colgate has over 275 full-time faculty-scholars with a 9:1 student to faculty ratio. 98 percent of Colgate’s faculty have achieved the highest degrees in their fields. In 2011 and 2012, Colgate went against the cost-cutting norm at most colleges and universities by adding 17 new faculty positions, according to the university’s website, and seems to be continuing to carry on the tradition of an excellent faculty.

Contact Sarah Chandler

at [email protected].