Men’s Hockey Slips

Selina Kohller

The men’s hockey team faced two devastating losses at home this weekend, against the Princeton University Tigers and the Quinnipiac University Bobcats. The Tigers defeated the Raiders 4-2, and the Bobcats 3-2.

Colgate faced off against Princeton at Starr Rink on Friday, February 8 at 7:00 p.m.. A goal from each team was shot during the first period, the first by Princeton at 7:20 and later by Colgate at 18:06. This first goal was shot by sophomore Joe Wilson and assisted by senior captain Jeremy Price. First-year Tyson Spink also received a

minor penalty at 9:48 for slashing.

The second period was unfortunately scoreless for the Raiders. Princeton scored their second goal in the first few minutes of the period. Colgate then received two penalties within a four-minute period – one on senior Kurtis Bartliff at 10:12 for boarding and one on senior captain Thomas Larkin at 14:12. It was during the latter Princeton power play that the Tigers scored their third goal. At the end of the period, at 19:18, first-year Darcy Murphy received a penalty for tripping.

Colgate began the third period by shooting their final goal of the night at 1:38, by Larkin and assisted by first-year Mike Borkowski and sophomore John Lidgett. A minute later, at 3:04, senior Billy Rivellini was handed the final Colgate penalty of the night for boarding. The Raiders pulled first-year Spencer Finney out of a goal for the last minute or so to allow six skaters, but were unable to score.

The next evening, Saturday, February 9 at 7:00 p.m., Colgate hosted Quinnipiac. Finney served in goal for the entire game. The first period began with a Quinnipiac penalty. Several minutes later the first Quinnipiac goal was shot at 14:44. The few remaining minutes included two separate Colgate penalties. Price received one at 17:54 for hitting from behind, and Larkin a ten-minute

misconduct at 18:33 for slashing.

Colgate thus began the second period in a power kill. However, senior Robbie Bourdon was able to score at 8:09, assisted by senior captain Nathan Sinz and Wilson. In the latter half of the second period, Quinnipiac scored another goal and Tyson Spink was given a penalty at 19:11 for boarding.

The third period also began with a Colgate power kill, but Quinnipiac received their own penalty within their first minute and a half. Seconds after their penalty ended, the Bobcats scored their third and final goal of the evening. At 7:19 the Raiders scored a second goal, courtesy of the Spink twins: shot by first-year Tylor Spink and assisted by

Tyson Spink.

The rest of the period was devoid of goals but contained two penalties on Colgate players, one on Murphy at 13:43 for cross-checking and on first-year Kevin Lough at 18:47 for holding. The game ended with ten-minute misconduct penalties on three Raiders – Bourdon, first-year Ryan

Johnston and Tyson Spink – and two Bobcats.

Colgate is on the road this coming weekend, with a game on Friday, February 15 at 7:00 p.m. versus the Harvard Crimson and on Saturday, February 16 at 7:00 p.m. against the Dartmouth Big Green.

Contact Selina Koller at

[email protected].