Women’s Ice Hockey Finds Success Against RIT

Junior Taylor Volpe netted the game winning goal for the Raiders on Friday night, ending Colgate’s nine-game home-stand with a 2-1 victory against the Tigers of Roch-ester Institute of Technology (RIT).

First-year defender Nicole Gass contributed strongly to the Raider victory when she grabbed her first goal of the season, a shot that tied the game for at 1-1. Sophomore goaltender Susan Allen also showed well for the Raiders, blocking 19 shots with several huge saves in the final period.

The Tigers of RIT saw major contributions from first-year for-ward Katie Hubert, who scored RIT’s only goal of the match. Ju-nior goaltender Laura Chamber-lain made 29 saves throughout the game.

Scoreless for the entirety of the first period, RIT managed to pick up the first goal of the game on a power play with 11 minutes re-maining in the second period. At the 6:26 mark, RIT’s sophomore forward Celeste Brown shot the puck off the boards to Hubert. Hubert fired a shot which bounced off the crossbar and into the net, awarding RIT the first lead of the game 1-0.

Only three minutes later, Col-gate first-year Nicole Gass notched her first goal off the night, equal-izing the score for the Raiders at 1-1. Junior forward Rachel Walsh passed to senior defender Megan Wickens on a power play. Wick-ens and Gass went back and forth at the point before they finally managed to capitalize on a gap at the net. Sophomore Taylor Craig screened RIT’s Chamberland, allowing for Gass to tally the goal.

Throughout the last five minutes of the second period, the Raiders kept the scoring pressure on. Great shots were seen by Volpe, Wickens and junior forward Steph Giannopoulos, each seeing great opportunities to score at the end of the period.

Less than five minutes into the final period, Colgate recaptured the lead. Attempting to capitalize on a power play, RIT passed the puck back and forth at the top of the cir-cles. Volpe was able to anticipate one of the Tigers’ passes and grabbed the puck. The following goal by Volpe put the Raiders up 2-1.

Sophomore Katie Case saw an opportunity at goal with only three minutes remaining in the match; Volpe and Case attempted to take advantage of another breakaway opportunity, but Chamberland was able to make the save.

With RIT unable to secure a tying goal, the Colgate Raiders managed to come out with the vic-tory. The Raiders will take to the ice again when they travel to face in-state rival Cornell on Friday, November 16 at 3 p.m..

Contact Kelly Reid at

[email protected].