Men’s Soccer Records a Close Win over Army

After losing 3-1 to sixteenth nationally ranked rival Cornell on Tuesday, the men’s soc-cer team looked to recover and continue its solid conference play. The soccer team did just that with a 1-0 overtime win against Army at West Point this past weekend.

Despite Army’s strong offense, led by sophomore midfielder Kyle Golonski, Col-gate’s battle-tested defense prevailed and prevented the Black Knights from scor-ing throughout the match. Colgate sopho-more goalkeeper Liam Stapleton helped the defense by making two tough saves.

In the 21st minute, the Black Knights al-most scored when senior Trent Brown fired a shot. Stapleton deflected it with ease. The ball ricocheted to Golonski who attempted to score, but the ball was diverted by the Raiders’ strong defense.

As its defense fended off the Black Knights’ furious rally, Colgate’s offense was able to shift the momentum of the game. Colgate senior Shane Conlin propelled the Raider of-fense, firing five shots and creating consistent scoring opportunities.

Army defense was able to halt many of Col-gate’s scoring attempts. Sophomore goalkeeper Winston Boldt tallied 4 saves during the game.

In the second half, the defense led the way as both teams systematically shut down offensive attempts to score. A combined total of only seven shots were made.

One of Colgate’s best chances in secur-ing a lead during regulation play occurred in the 63rd minute. Sophomore Tanner Schilling was able to take advantage of a rare Army defensive collapse and fired a shot on goal. However, Boldt came up with the save.

Army and Colgate’s defenses were able to restrict effective offensive scoring op-portunities leading to a 0-0 tie during regulation play.

In overtime, the Raider offense took its game to a whole new level. Less than two minutes into overtime, Colgate se-nior Mike Reidy used his sharp footwork to break free of the Black Knight defense. Finding an opening, Reidy was able to fire the game winning shot past Boldt, hand-ing Colgate a hard-fought victory. Reidy’s game winning goal was his seventh goal of the season, which is the most among all Patriot League players this season.

Colgate’s thrilling win against Army continued its undefeated record in confer-ence play. The Raiders are now tied with American University for first place in the Patriot League.

Colgate will play against the num-ber one nationally ranked Maryland at College Park on Tuesday and will return home on Saturday for a league game against Lafayette College at 4 p.m. on Van Doren Field.

Contact Matt Washuta at [email protected].