Green ‘Gate Colgate’s First “Green-tivities” Fair

All of Colgate’s sustainability efforts will be brought together in one place next Tuesday, October 4, at the first “Green-tivities” fair. The activities fair, which will be sponsored by the Greek Sustainability Council, will focus specifically on environmental initiatives on campus.

“It’s an opportunity for individuals on campus to learn what Colgate is doing to become more sustainable and, hopefully, for those students to become more involved themselves,” said Emily Greiff, an organizer of the event.

The event will take place on October 4 in the atrium of the Ho Science Center from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

“We want people to become aware of the huge steps that the university has made to become a model institution for sustainability,” said Greiff.

The Greek Sustainability Council decided to host the green activities fair in order to use sustainability to connect with the entire Colgate community.

“We wanted to do something with the whole campus, and this is a common issue that the Colgate community is concerned with,” said Greiff.

Although sponsored by the Greek Sustainability Council, the event is for all Colgate students, whether or not they are affiliated with Greek life.

At the “Green-tivities” fair, each environmentally focused club will have a table with information about what they do on campus.

“How important sustainability is to students at Colgate is exemplified by how many groups focused on the environment there are on campus,” senior Annemarie Heinrich, antoher organizer of the event, said.

There will also be tables for other initiatives, such as Green Bikes, a bike-sharing organization and a table from Career Services about green jobs.

“The general activities fair can be very overwhelming,” said Heinrich. “We wanted an event early in the year for students who want to get more involved with sustainability.”

John Pumilio, Colgate’s Sustainability Coordinator, will talk at noon during the activities fair about the university’s goal to be carbon neutral by 2019.

“Nothing like this has ever been done before,” said Greiff about the joining of so many sustainably oriented groups and clubs. “We hope this can become an annual event.”

Contact Cassidy Holahan at [email protected]