Field Hockey Goes 0-2 on the Weekend

The Colgate field hockey team suffered two disappointing losses this weekend, falling to Hofstra in its second game of the season and to Vermont in double overtime with scores of 1-8 and 1-2 respectively. Ju­nior Lauren Dittman made the only goal from a penalty corner with assists recorded for classmates Anna Reddicliffe and Adri­ana Libutti. First-year Amanda DiDom­izo made seven saves for her start in goal, while sophomore Caitlin Zolet had two of her own.

The first goal of the game was recorded for Hofstra 6:13 minutes in on a penalty corner by Micaela Gallagher. Dittman answered only 10 minutes later with the lone Colgate point, but from then on out, the game was dominated by the Hofstra women. The Pride found the back of the goal at the 18 and 35 minute marks before breaking for halftime.

Hofstra continued to dominate with five more goals in the second half with two scored within the first ten minutes of play. Overall, the Pride outshot the Raid­ers 23-8 and clearly had the upper hand throughout the competition.

On Sunday afternoon, Colgate walked onto Tyler’s Field with a new attitude. They fought for over 86 minutes in double overtime against the Vermont, but sopho­more Olivia Nabhan’s lone goal was not enough to conquer the Catamounts in the 1-2 Raider loss.

Both teams were challenged by Sunday’s extreme heat and humidity and played very evenly throughout the first half of the matchup. Each fired eight shots with five on goal. Both Dittman and sophomore Halle Biggar were opened up for opportu­nities to score. Vermont was also unable to capitalize on its opportunities as DeDom­izo pushed aside two shots in the first 35 minutes of play.

Colgate and Vermont both came out even again in the second half, but it would be the Catamounts to tally the first shot over DiDomizo.

Colgate answered with under ten min­utes remaining in the game when Nabhan scored her third goal of the season on a penalty corner opportunity. The Raiders made a couple of passes and the ball ended up on the end line. Then, a Raider player skipped a pass off the keeper’s pads and the ball ricocheted to Nabhan in front. She immediately capitalized on the opportu­nity and hit the back of the cage to tie the game and prevent the Colgate loss.

Both teams were fierce in the first over­time despite the persisting heat and frus­tration, but once again Vermont was able to make the first cut 1:48 into the second overtime to end the game.

The Raiders hope to get back on their feet in their next game against Quinnipiac at home this Friday at 7 p.m. and on the road Sunday and Wednesday against Rob­ert Morris and Siena. Each of the away games are slated for a 4 p.m. start.

Contact Emma Barge at [email protected].