Field Hockey 0-2 for Weekend

Emma Barge


The Colgate field hockey team dropped two games this weekend while on the road. The first was against Quin­nipiac, who shut Colgate out with a devastating 6-0 final score. The Raiders picked up their game on Sunday only to lose again in yet another heartbreak­ing overtime game ending in a 3-2 tally. Colgate now has one win and four losses under its belt in preseason matchups.

The Quinnipiac game was decided in a measurable difference in offensive am­bition between Colgate and the compe­tition. Despite the discouraging score, first-year Amanda DiDomizio triumphed, recording a career-high 12 shots.

Quinnipiac came out strong in the first half of the game, with the first goal netted before the ten-minute mark. Then a second Quinnipiac player scored the first of what would be three goals off a cross to push the score to 2-0. Only 1:07 later she attacked the goal again, slipping the ball past DiDomizio.

A third Bobcat scored yet again off a penalty stroke with 5:22 left in the half to send the Raiders to the locker trailing by four.

Unfortunately, the half time break did not help the Raiders recover from the four-point deficit. DiDomizio let anoth­er slip by in a one-on-one battle for yet another Quinnipiac goal.

Ultimately, the Bobcats outshot the Raiders 30-9 and earned nine penalty corners to Colgate’s mere three.

The second game of the weekend was much more competitive for the Colgate women, as they traveled to Moon Town­ship, Pa. to face Robert Morris. The Raid­ers led 2-1 in the final seconds of regular time, but Robert Morris was able to slip in a goal on a penalty corner to even the score and force the game into overtime.

The first half of the game was quiet and neither team was able to score. It was not until junior Lauren Dittman attacked the goal 8:54 into the game that Colgate took its first lead. Sophomore Halle Big­gar recorded the assist on the first tally of the competition.

Robert Morris answered quickly with a goal of their own only 4:06 later, but the Raiders fired back with 10:48 left in the game when senior attack Sarah Hill scored her first career goal when she tapped in a shot from Dittman. Even still, Colgate struggled in the last min­utes of the game as the Colonials earned three consecutive corners. The third time was in fact the charm for Robert Morris, when Michelle Lewthwaite tied the game with no time left on the clock.

Colgate earned the first shot on goal in overtime, but Robert Morris earned two more back-to-back corners. On the second chance, it was again Lewthwaite who scored from the top of the circle and the game ended in a 3-2 loss for the Raiders.

Colgate will be back in action at home on Tyler’s Field this weekend when they go up against Lock Haven at 4:00 p.m. on Friday and St. Francis of Pennsylvania at 1:00 p.m. Saturday.

Contact Emma Barge at [email protected]