Track Hosts Class of ’32 Invitational

Last Saturday, the Colgate track and field teams hosted the annual Class of ’32 Invitational and performed particu­larly well in the process. The men’s team cruised to a strong second place finish overall, highlighted by 11 top five perfor­mances. The women’s squad steamrolled its way to a first place finish.

The men’s team captured two of its top-five finishes in a field event for the first time this year. The Raiders contin­ued their success in the sprinting events, beginning with the 60-meter hurdles. Junior Alex Coco placed third overall in the event, finishing the event in just 8.74 seconds. The Raiders dominated the mile run, as senior Dan Gleason and sopho­more Chris Johnson took home first and second place overall in the event. Gleason snapped the tape in just 4:17.53, while Johnson trailed just behind him with a time of 4:17.71. Gleason also took home first place in the event last year at the Class of ’32 Invitational.

In the 400 meter dash, Colgate junior Graham Tooker took home second place overall with a final time of 50.45 – just .06 seconds out of first place. The Raid­ers once again dominated in the 800-me­ter run, taking home both first and sec­ond place. Senior Ed Boulat took first place in the event, crossing the line in 1:58.31, and was followed closely by class­mate Jonathan Knowlton, who finished with a time of 1:58.40. In the 100-me­ter run, junior Tim Metivier placed first overall with a final time of 2:29.94.

The Raiders grabbed another two top -five finishes in the 3000-meter run. Se­nior Ed Sheridan took home third place in the event, crossing the line in a swift 8:51.89. Sophomore Tim Phelps trailed Sheridan in fourth place with a final time of 9:05.16. In the 5000-meter run, junior Thomas Hedges finished third with a time of 15:41.31. The Raiders performed par­ticularly well in the relay events, grabbing first place overall in both the Distance Medley and the 4×400-meter relay.

The women continued their successful start to the season in dominant fashion on Saturday, claiming podium spots in sev­eral events. The Raiders got off to a hot start in the 60-meter dash, when senior Emily Hepworth took home second over­all with a time of 8.28 seconds. Hepworth won her qualifying heat with a time of 8.31 seconds.

The Raiders continued their success in the one-mile run with sophomore Caro­line Prins taking second place overall in the event with a time of 5:15.05. Colgate absolutely dominated the 400-meter dash, placing runners in all three podium posi­tions. Senior Michele Miller placed first overall with a time of 1:00.07 and was followed by first-year Jamie King-Prunty, who placed second with a time of 1:00.81. Sophomore Amy Sleeper rounded out the top-three with a final time of 1:02.91. In the 500-meter run, junior Alexandra At­kinson placed first overall with a time of 1:17.94. Sophomore Ellen Callahan car­ried the Raiders in the 800-meter run, fin­ishing in second place overall with a final time of 2:21.82.

In the 1000-meter run, Colgate took two of the three podium positions. Sophomore Caroline Prins owned the event with a time of 3:05.52 and was followed in third place by first-year teammate Molly Shapiro, who completed the race in a solid 3:16.17. In the 200-meter dash, senior sprinter Michele Miller continued her early season success, placing first overall with a time of 26.57.

Despite the absence of junior Elise DeRoo, the Raiders were very success­ful in distance events. Senior Julie Tarallo placed first in the 3,000-meter, snapping the tape in 10:31.77. Tarallo was followed in third place by senior teammate Sta­cey Marion, who completed the race in a respectable 10:46.75.

In the 5000-meter run, the Raiders once again grabbed both first and third place. Junior Kelly Cattano took first place in the event with a final time of 18:34.43, and was trailed in third place by sophomore Taylor Fleming, who com­pleted the race in 19:39.47. Cattano fin­ished a stunning 1:04.04 ahead of the second place finisher in the event.

“Competing in events without key per­formers is always rough, but this is where our team works miracles and unforeseen people step up,” Cattano said.

The women’s team mirrored the suc­cess experienced by the men’s team in the relay races, taking home first place in both the Distance Medley and the 4×400-meter relay.

Both the men’s and the women’s squads will return to action on Sat­urday in New Haven, Connecticut where they will compete at Yale in the Giegengack Invite.

“We will continue doing our normal routine of proper sleep, hydration and effective workouts,” Cattano said.