Men Comment on CCLS Report

Following the release of the Colgate Campus Life Survey (CCLS) earlier this month, Men at Colgate, Phi Delta Theta fraternity and the Interfraternity Council (IFC) hosted a public evaluation of the report that was open only to the male population of Colgate. The meeting, which was attended by over 50 male students and faculty members, was held on Monday, November 16. Titled “Campus Life Survey: A Male Perspective,” the forum allowed men to openly discuss the data released in the survey. The aim of the evaluation was largely to discuss the findings in terms of how they related to males at the school in an atmosphere that would encourage students to openly voice their opinions on the CCLS.

While the 189-page CCLS report touched on 13 aspects of campus life, large portions focused on the social lives of men and women at Colgate, sexual behavior and alcohol consumption. The results of the survey in many of these areas surprised some, especially members of the male community.

Because many of the issues covered were highly controversial and many people have been hesitant to honestly discuss the findings, it was hoped that the discussion of the report would allow for an open forum where males could speak their minds. Many males were anxious for a chance to voice their opinions, as they perceived the majority of the complaints stemming from the survey to be against men.

“I really have an issue with a lot of the information reported,” a senior male who wished to remain anonymous said. “I have a hard time believing a lot of the report and to be honest, I feel like it unfairly accuses the male population for some of the detrimental campus trends.”

Director of Alumni Affairs Tim Mansfield also expressed his concerns. 

“It seems to me that the survey has created a climate of fear and anxiety, and I am curious to see how men are reacting to this climate,” Mansfield said.

After a brief introduction, the attendees were split up into five smaller groups. Each group was given a specific topic to discuss that related to the male population of Colgate. The discussion centered around the findings that men drink more than women; men are more satisfied with the dating culture; more than 70 percent of Colgate students report sexual harassment and the overall trend that the gender climate appears to have a significant effect on the overall satisfaction of both female and male students. The discussions also largely focused on the presence of Greek life at Colgate and the report’s findings related to that presence. Students found the smaller groups to be the perfect opportunity to openly and honestly voice their opinions on the issues at hand.

“I really thought it was a smart way to set up the whole discussion,” junior AJ Browning said. “It was the perfect forum to openly and actively speak our minds on the issues.”

The organizers of the event hoped that men at the meeting would leave feeling that the discussion was a useful one.

“I really thought that helped a lot,” a second male student said. “I know that a lot of men were upset with the report and felt like it was inaccurate, but haven’t really had a place to talk about it all. This was perfect.”