Anonymous Flyers Call Professor Racist

A flyer put up in the COOP that reads, “PROFESSOR SHAIN IS A RACIST GET HIM OFF THIS CAMPUS.” These posters were also found in McGregory Hall and Alumni Hall.

Update posted on 11/1: In response to the anonymous flyers that appeared on campus yesterday, Dean of the Faculty Tracey Hucks gave this statement to the Maroon-News

“I am grateful to the students who participated in last night’s speak out and those who made themselves vulnerable by sharing their concerns and personal experiences with racism on this campus. I recognize that some members of our students, staff, and faculty community are hurting. Yet anonymous postings do not contribute to open, productive discourse.

Concerns raised last night, followed by today’s posters, reflect a desire for action. While I cannot comment at this point on any individual faculty member, I take these concerns seriously.  I am now working with the appropriate offices to determine how to best address issues raised at the speak out and intend to do so with care, deliberation, and in line with Colgate’s policies and shared governance system.  

Racism and racist acts diminish our ability to create a campus that is reflective of the values we seek to exemplify. I implore us to embrace our best selves in order to foster a Colgate of inclusiveness, character, and integrity.”

Seeing as this matter directly involves a faculty member, President Brian Casey referred to Hucks to speak on the issue when asked for comment. 

Chair of the Political Science Department Nina Moore said in an email to the Maroon-News that no complaints “formal or informal” regarding Political Science Professor Barry Shain have been submitted to her as department chair. 

“Students who wish to file a complaint concerning this or other allegations may do so through the proper channels, namely by submitting their first-hand account(s) and any supporting evidence to me, to the Social Sciences Division Director Adam Burnett, or to the Dean of the Faculty Tracey Hucks. Any such complaint may be submitted confidentially (until final course grades are reported to the Registrar’s Office in December), if necessary. Or, students may file a grievance through the university’s Equity Grievance Process by contacting Professor Lynn Rugg,” Moore said in the email.

Shain declined to comment at this time. 

Associate Vice President for Campus Safety Dan Gough said the flyers were originally reported to Campus Safety by students, faculty and staff via phone and email before Campus Safety removed the flyers from the COOP.

Gough said Campus Safety is not conducting an investigation of who put the flyers up.

The Maroon-News has reached out to Vice President and Dean of the College Paul McLoughlin, Student Government Association (SGA) Presidents Kate Bundy and Christian Johns and SGA Vice Presidents Ayah Elarabi and JJ Citron for comment and are waiting for a response. We will continue to update our story as we receive more information and responses. 

Original story posted on 9/31: Flyers posted around campus were first spotted stating, “PROFESSOR SHAIN IS A RACIST GET HIM OFF THIS CAMPUS” mid-afternoon on October 31. Professor Barry Shain is a tenured professor in the Political Science Department. These flyers appeared in Alumni Hall, McGregory Hall and the COOP. A little after 3 p.m., junior Lexi Walsh saw Campus Safety officers removing the flyers from the COOP. Associate Vice President for Campus Safety Dan Gough said the fliers have been removed only from the COOP because they are in violation of school advertising policy which necessitates posters “include the sponsoring organizations [sic] name.” Posters were also taken down from McGregory. According to Gough, “any flyers removed in other locations on campus were done so by community members other than Campus Safety staff, presumably also for being in violation of the university’s advertising policy.”

This protest follows a speak-out organized by the Student Government Association (SGA) in response to the discovery of a racist slur written on a dorm whiteboard in Bryan Complex. Students spoke of the impact the racist incident had on them and expressed other times they felt targeted, unwelcome and insulted during their time at Colgate. Multiple students mentioned Shain by name. 

The Maroon-News has reached out to Shain, Provost and Dean of the Faculty Tracey Hucks, Vice President and Dean of the College Paul McLoughlin, Chair of the Department of Political Science Nina Moore, President Brian Casey, SGA Presidents Kate Bundy and Christian Johns and SGA Vice Presidents Ayah Elarabi and JJ Citron for comment and we are waiting for response. We will continue to update our story as we receive more information and responses.