Women’s Swimming and Diving Wins Again; Men Fall to BU

Womens Swimming and Diving Wins Again; Men Fall to BU

It was déj? vu all over again as Colgate men’s and women’s swimming and diving team split their respective meets with Boston University last Saturday at Lineberry Natatorium. The women Raiders rode the momentum from last week’s convincing win against Lehigh to an impressive victory against the visiting Terriers, 190-108. The men’s team continued its early-season struggles as they dropped a 185-108 loss to Boston University.

Once again, the women’s swimming and diving team set six pool records on Saturday, mirroring its outstanding performance against Lehigh one week prior to Saturday’s win. These records included new Lineberry Natatorium times for the 200 medley relay, the 400 free style relay, the 200 free style, the 1000 free style, the 1650 free style, and the 200 back stroke. Many of these performances have been ranked among the top-10 performances of all-time in Colgate swimming and diving history.

Sophomore Erin McGraw, first-year Emily Peck, and sophomore Caren Guyett won four events Saturday while senior Emily Murphy was a double winner.

The Lady Raiders started the meet in style, breaking the four pool records in the first three events. McGraw, junior Caitlin Curran, Guyett, and Peck swam a 1:47.49 and broke the record for the 200 medley by more than a full second.

First-year sensation Erica Derlath broke two pool records after breaking two Lineberry Natatorium records last Saturday against Lehigh. Derlath improved on her record-breaking time she set last meet in the 150 free style by swimming at a pace of 17:06.19. McGraw set a Lineberry record of 1:52.19 in the 200 free style. McGraw continued to dominate when she broke former Bucknell star Lectie Altman’s pool record in the 200 backstroke. She also finished ahead of Derlath and senior Bev Walker.

In the 50 free style, Colgate swept the first, second and third place positions just before intermission. Peck led all swimmers with a 24.20, Murphy finished with a 24.26, and Ashley achieved a time of 24.31.

Other event winners included McGraw in the 100 fly (56.90); Guyett in the 200 fly (2:05.3), 500 free (5:02.57), and 400 IM (4:30.96); Peck in the 100 free (51.98); Walker in the 100 back (58.42), and Murphy in the 100 breast (1:04.32).

In men’s action, Patriot League Swimmer of the Week Devon Healy lead the men’s team by winning the 1650 free style and 400 IM. Healy also finished second in the 500 free style.

First-year Costas Hadjipateras won twice for Colgate. Hadjipateras nearly obtained the freshman record in the 200 fly with a winning 1:57.04 and joined senior Patrick White, senior George Bennitt and sophomore Tucker Gniewek to win the 400 free relay (3:12.52).

Despite these individual victories, the men’s team has yet to win a meet this season, yet Tucker Gneiwek believes his team will improve.

“We have had a tough stretch and we have been competing against some great opponents from bigger and stronger schools. Despite these losses, the team has been swimming really well and we always look to the next meet.” Gneiwek said.

Both teams will collide with Dartmouth next Sunday in the final dual meet in 2008. The meets start at 11 a.m.