Haven Hosts ‘Take Back the Night’ March for Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Instagram / @havenforsurvivors

April is sexual assault awareness month (SAAM) and Colgate University’s sexual violence resource center, Haven, plans to get members of the Colgate community involved through a series of events that aim to spread awareness and share survivors’ stories. According to its website, Haven is an on-campus resource that provides “confidential care, support, advocacy and trauma-informed clinical support to survivors.” 

One of these events, which took place last Tuesday, April 9, was a march called Take Back the Night (TBTN). Before the march, students gathered outside of the O’Connor Campus Center (the Coop) to make and collect signs, learn chants and hear a speech from a student leader. Afterward, the group was led on their path by Haven leaders and ambassadors with megaphones. The march started at 7:30 p.m. at the Coop and made its way down Willow Path to 84 Broad Street, before going back up the hill to the Colgate Memorial Chapel for a performance by the Swinging’ Gates.

Sophomore Arianna Stolowitz, a student ambassador for Haven, spoke about the importance of the march on campus. 

“Take Back the Night brings awareness to sexual violence and survivors,” said Stolowitz. “It’s one of the main events that Haven puts on for sexual assault awareness month. [The march] allows the Colgate community to come together [outside of] classes to show support for survivors and let people know that they aren’t alone on campus and that there are people and resources to support them.” 

Nicole Blidy, the assistant director of Haven, was involved with the march and discussed the history of the movement. 

“TBTN is a historical form of resistance that has been taking place globally since the 1970s,” Blidy said. “It was amazing to see students cheering demonstrators on, honking their horns in agreement to our chants or standing in solidarity with us.” 

The organizers felt that the march successfully brought students together, supported survivors and spread awareness about the available sexual assault resources on campus. 

“It was so awesome and a really special experience being able to see everyone come together for such an important cause,” said Stolowitz. 

While Take Back the Night is one of the more prominent events held for Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Haven will be hosting more events this month to spread awareness about sexual assault and sexual violence.

Charm Little-Ray, the director of Haven, spoke about the further programming that Colgate community members can expect.

“So far [this month] we have had multiple tabling events, [including] an Open Campus Trauma-Informed Support Training and a Healing Through the Arts Exhibition,” Little-Ray said.

These events are open to everybody and both Little-Ray and Blidy noted that they want to involve more students. Programming includes events, such as the Take Back the Night march, but also showing support through actions, such as Denim Day on April 24, where students have the opportunity to wear denim in solidarity with sexual assault survivors.   

Students can also get involved at upcoming events, such as the Office of International Student Services’ “Let’s Talk Brown Bag: Consent” on both Friday, April 26, at McGregory Hall and Tuesday, April 30, at the Office of Undergraduate Studies House.