Salute Your (‘Gate) Shorts

Salute Your (Gate) Shorts

The first day of the semester, Monday, August 27, ushered in a wave of faces on campus, both new and old. It also signaled the beginning of “Camp Colgate,” or Welcome Back Week 2007.

Kicking off the nine-day medley of opening events was a concert in the Memorial Chapel with Colgate’s four a capella groups. Showcasing their collective talent and unique personalities, The Colgate 13, Swinging ‘Gates, Resolutions and Dischords sang for their peers and prospective members. Though in the midst of callbacks, senior Jane Tully of the Swinging ‘Gates later commented on the variety of singers the group was considering.

“We certainly have many talented girls trying out. There were really some great, diverse voices and we loved hearing every one of them.”

The Chapel became a Welcome Back Week venue again on Tuesday night, featuring a lecture with Ben Stein, whose good humor and guidance proved both entertaining and valuable for college students.

On Thursday, Students for Environmental Action (SEA), held its annual Walk up the Hill Day. The event was organized to help students make environmentally conscious choices by encouraging them to walk or bike rather than take cars.

“Walk up the Hill Day is usually held in the spring, around the time of Earth Day,” explained SEA co-president first-year Kathleen Onorevole. “We want students to consider how they get up the hill, and hopefully realize that walking isn’t all that bad!”

The African, Latin, Asian and Native American (ALANA) Cultural Center also made a contribution to the festivities on Thursday afternoon with its own Welcome Back Barbecue. A salsa dance workshop followed, complete with a meringue band in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month. ALANA Director Thomas Cruz-Soto, Jr., a newcomer this year, plans on enhancing the presence of ALANA on campus.

“I promised Dean Charlotte Johnson that if I chose to take the position, I was going to hit the ground running,” he said. “So far, I have kept that promise and I am only just getting started. With the support of the entire student body and faculty, I know we’re going to have a great year.”

Friday brought a barbecue by Sodexho and a Giant Moon Bounce on Whitnall Field. The festivities moved into the twilight hours, with a catered party at Sigma Chi featuring DJ Green Lantern. Hundreds of students filled the lawn while “The Evil Genius,” as he is also known, filled the air with his original spin on current and classic hip-hop tunes.

Colgate football had a promising start on Saturday at 1:00 p.m., edging out Albany for a 13-11 win. But for those seeking a more interactive diversion on a Saturday afternoon, The Game’s Afoot held its Water War and barbecue on the academic quad from 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. Providing all the nerf gun amenities, club members cited only the need to “come ready to get wet” on their promotional flyer.

Beta Theta Pi brought back its signature Beta Beach Party later that evening, filling the entire back yard behind 88 Broad Street with truckloads of sand. Hip-hop legend Slick Rick took the stage around 11:00 p.m. to entertain partygoers with his hits.

Welcome Back Week continued the following Monday with a performance by band Dangerboy, a student favorite composed of Colgate faculty members, on the Case Library Terrace.

Other events through Wednesday included the annual poster sale, a Masque and Triangle Student Showcase and individual concerts in the O’Connor Campus Center for each a capella group.