New Nail Salon Opens in Hamilton

As of three weeks ago, one of the dismally vacant store fronts lining Broad Street became very occupied. No, it is not another pizza place and, unfortunately, that new fake ID will be of little help when visiting. However, if you are on the lookout for somewhere to get beautified before your formal, or just for a few hours of fun with your friends, you are in luck because Hamilton is now home to a brand new nail salon.

Located next to Parkside Deli and Catering, Hamilton Nails & Spa is a brightly lit and spacious locale that offers a variety of services including manicures, pedicures, nail treatment and waxing. Their hours are 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 10 a.m to 6 p.m on Saturday. Appointments can be made by calling (315) 824-0342, but walk-ins are welcomed. They also offer gift certificates.

Hamilton Nails & Spa, is a family business under the ownership of Nhut Ho, who also owns a beauty supply store called NY Nail Supply in Utica, NY. Ho said that he is happy to have a business in Hamilton.

“It is a good location,” he said. “It’s a nice, quiet town and the townspeople are very supportive.”

The other main draw is, obviously, Colgate students. Ho said that he is working on accepting the ‘Gate Card to make it easier for students to pay for their services.

“We will do everything we can to be convenient for the students,” he said.

Although the salon has only been open for three weeks, Ho said business has been okay. He is expecting to draw the most clients on the weekends.

While there are two other beauty salons located in town, Hamilton Nails & Spa seems to have attracted the interest of many students. Senior Alana Elsner went in last Friday for a manicure and pedicure with several of her friends.

“Its nice to have a place around that specializes in nails,” she said.

Elsner also said that getting her nails done was a way to relax. “It’s a nice break from all the stress.”

Talk about the new salon near campus seems to be spreading.

“People have either said they have been here or are planning on coming here,” Elsner said.

Senior Diane Kahng, another one of the salon’s recent customers, agreed with Elsner.

“A lot of girls have talked about it,” she said. “It’s a nice place to go and it gives you something to do. If you go before dinner, you can go to Parkside right after.”

Kahng also said she was pleased that the prices were lower than those offered by another salon in town. Regular manicures and pedicures are $10 and $20 respectively, and the cost of both together is $28. Kahng herself got a manicure, and has already made an appointment for next week.

An essential aspect of a salon is its management and staff. Kahng commented that it seemed under-staffed, though she did say that the owner and the present staff were very nice.

Ho explained the reasoning for the small staff.

“We are still looking to find the right people,” he said.

Ho is extremely selective in accepting applicants.

“They have to treat the customer right, and they must be polite, or else we won’t hire them,” he said. “I can’t allow a technician to work with a bad attitude.”

Ho also said that he is very concerned with providing good service.

“Some customers want everything perfect,” he said. “We have to do whatever they want so they will be happy when they walk out the door.”

So, what are you waiting for? Hamilton Nails & Spa is conveniently located and ready to serve your beauty needs. Ho recommends coming in and giving it a chance.

“People enjoy it,” he said. “If you don’t try, you won’t know.”