Cooking with Jules!

First of all, I would like to start off by welcoming everyone back to Colgate for another exciting year! I, Juliana, will be taking over as your head chef this year. Although I have loved the past three years here at Colgate, I have definitely missed the food that I grew up with in an Italian household. My great grandparents came to this country from Sicily and brought with them the secrets of Italy’s phenomenal food. Therefore, you can expect an emphasis on Mediterranean ingredients and dishes because that is what I know best and what I love the most! As we move into dorms and apartments we are faced with a few inevitable questions: 1) What are we going to eat? 2) How are we going to cook? 3) Are there alternatives to dining halls and delivery? My answer to those questions is yes, yes and yes! It can be difficult for those living in dorms to cook anything more than macaroni and cheese or popcorn but I believe that if you enjoy cooking then you can always find options and use your microwave in a creative and effective way. Also, when the weather is nice, grilling can be accomplished anywhere on campus. Here are a few college kitchen essentials to get you going. A student absolutely cannot do without a microwave and a refrigerator. With that combination of appliances students can cook anything from vegetables to nachos. Depending on the size and capabilities of your kitchen space, blenders, toasters and indoor grills (think George Foreman) are also recommended. Necessities include a basic set of utensils, chef’s knife, can opener, measuring tools, spatula and tongs. Finally, a mixing bowl, pot with lid, pan and non-stick baking sheet will provide enough to prepare any meal. In honor of summer barbeques, I am devoting this week to a meal that any member of the Colgate student body can easily prepare on the grill. Personally, I prefer turkey burgers but I know that many of you may not share that sentiment so I am including two recipes that will satisfy all taste buds. For those of you who do not eat meat, do not worry, I have something for you as well. At this time of year, nothing is better than corn on the cob. Feeling left out as you watch people devour burgers, steaks and hot dogs off the grill? Well, there is no longer a reason to feel that way and pretend that you enjoy soy burgers. Buy at least one ear of corn per person. Shuck the corn and cut off the remains of the stem. Cut a piece of aluminum foil for each ear, making sure that the foil is large enough to be wrapped around the corn once. Before you close the corn into the foil, pour about three tablespoons of olive oil onto the corn and sprinkle on a pinch of salt. Now, close the wrapping and put the corn onto the grill at medium heat. After five to seven minutes (depending on how hot your grill is) turn the corn over and cook the other side for five to seven minutes. Unwrap and enjoy! Grilled turkey burgers:*This recipe makes 12 burgers*I cup chopped scallion (about 1 bunch before chopping)3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce2 tablespoons drained capers, finely chopped4.5 pounds ground turkey12 hamburger buns Keep in mind that it is important to make sure the garlic is minced. If you are unsure of what that means, it is just a fancy word for finely chopped. If the garlic is not chopped finely enough then you will end up with chunks of garlic in your patties, which is not desirable. Stir together scallion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and capers in a large mixing bowl. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper for taste. Add turkey to the bowl and combine the mixture together well. Use your hands to form twelve 1-inch-thick patties. Grill the burgers until they are cooked through, usually about six minutes on each side, but do not overcook or you will end up with dry burgers.

Chipotle burgers:*This recipe makes four burgers*2 tablespoons canned chipotle chilis in adobo (including sauce), minced1 pound ground beef chuck_ cup finely chopped onion1 teaspoon salt4 hamburger buns or English muffins Cut open any whole chipotles and get rid of the seeds. Mince the chipotles and then, using your hands, mix them (with adobo sauce) together with beef, onion and salt. Form the mixture into four _-inch-think patties. Grill burgers, turning over once, until they are medium-rare.