Men’s Lacrosse Can’t Keep Up with Greyhounds

Raiders Fall in Patriot League Play

The Colgate Men’s Lacrosse team took on the Loyola Greyhounds this past weekend on Saturday, March 30, to continue Patriot League play. After falling to the Greyhounds 21-7, the Raiders are tied with Holy Cross for the sixth rank in the league, with four league games left before tournament play.

The Raiders were unable to shut down two of Loyola’s key players, senior attacker Pat Spencer and sophomore attacker Kevin Lindley. Lindley finished with eight goals and two assists and Spencer tallied two goals and eight assists. Loyola dominated from the beginning of the first quarter with five unanswered goals.

Sophomore attacker Jimmy Caddigan finally put Colgate on the board off of an assist from junior midfielder Griffin Brown followed by another goal netted by sophomore midfielder Bobby Goggin.

The Greyhounds pushed the momentum again in the second quarter, coming out and scoring six unanswered goals. Colgate put up their first goal of the second quarter with 4:14 remaining in the half, as Brown scored off an assist from Caddigan on a man-up play. Senior midfielders Duncan Hoskinson and Matt Donovan both put up unassisted goals for the Raiders to go into the half trailing 6-14.

Despite late first-half efforts to narrow the deficit, Colgate was unable to stop Loyola during the second half. The Greyhounds put up another five goals during the third quarter and two more early in the final period of play. The Raiders did not put up a goal in the second half until first-year midfielder Ryan Decker finished his first career goal, unassisted with 7:29 left to play. The last 7:29 of the contest remained scoreless and the Greyhounds passed the Raiders 21-7. Loyola advances to 4-0 in the Patriot League.

“Loyola is a great team and they just outplayed us on Saturday. There’s a lot you can learn from a loss like that, and we will try to fix things this week in practice. We have plenty of seasons left and spirits remain high,” Senior midfielder Danny Healey said.

Although the score fell in favor of Loyola, Colgate put up a resilient effort. The two teams were about even in turnovers with Colgate ending with 13 and Loyola ending with 12. Colgate caused one more turnover than Loyola and out-hustled them on ground balls winning 53 percent of the battles as well as winning

three more draw controls. Thanks to sophomore Fogo Malcolm Feeney who won a career-high of 16 faceoffs in 29 attempts, the efforts on the draw circle were strong. He also recorded a career-high of nine ground balls.

“I’ve been coaching a long time and that’s one of the best teams I’ve seen. I’ve never watched a more efficient offense. Coach Toomey and his staff are phenomenal coaches and they looked good,” Head Coach Matt Karweck said of Loyola’s attack.

The Raiders have a week to prepare for their next Patriot League game as they take on the Navy Midshipmen next Saturday, April 6, at 2:00 p.m. on Crown Field at Andy Kerr Stadium. Navy is currently 2-3 in the league and the game will make a big impact on tournament bids.

Contact Lexi Luthringer at [email protected].