Dewey Mosby of Picker Art Galler honored

May 13, 2005News Release

Contacts:Juan Zabala, Director of Alumni Affairs, (409) 880-8923Louise Wood, Media Specialist, (409) 880-8415Chris Castillo, Marketing Specialist, (409) 880-8490

Mosby among 4 Distinguished Alumni honored at Lamar

Lamar University honored three outstanding alumni and Lamar’s first distinguished alumna for community service May 13 at the annual Distinguished Alumni Awards dinner in the University Reception Center of the Mary and John Gray Library. The 2005 Distinguished Alumni honorees included Dewey Mosby, Joseph Domino, and Nicholas Lampson. The distinguished alumna for community service is Paula O’Neal. The awards are the most prestigious honor Lamar bestows on its alumni. Dewey Mosby earned a bachelor’s degree in studio art from Lamar University in 1963. Mosby completed his master’s degree at the University of California, Los Angeles and received his doctoral degree from Harvard University. Mosby is Director Emeritus of the Picker Art Gallery at Colgate University in Hamilton, NY. He served as director of the gallery from 1981 through 2004 and during his tenure as director it became one of the premier venues in the art world. Prior to his appointment at Colgate University, Mosby served as Curator of European Art at The Detroit Institute of Arts; as assistant professor in the Department of Art and Art History at the State University of New York in Buffalo; and as visiting assistant professor in the Department of Fine Arts at Harvard University. Mosby is an art history scholar specializing in 19th-century European and African American art. He is an active lecturer and has served as a juror for hundreds of leading art competitions. He publishes actively, including entries in major arts and resource publications, and has organized exhibitions all over the world. In 2004, Mosby organized Lamar’s Dishman Art Gallery Competition and served as juror. He is the recipient of prestigious international awards and decorations, including Officier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres from the Minister of Culture and Communications from the Republic of France and Doctor of Arts, Honoris Causa from Kendall College of Art and Design. Mosby was named Man of the Year by the Michigan Chronicle and received the Outstanding Achievement in Art award from the Detroit City Council. He is a member of the College Art Association of America, Association of Historians of Nineteenth Century Art, Association of Historians of American Art, Societe de L’Histoire de L’Art Francais, American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, American Association of Museums and the American Association for University Professors. Mosby has two children, Christophe, a lawyer in Detroit and Veronique, a student in San Francisco. In 1996, Mosby married Rebekah Presson. They live in Hamilton, NY. -30-