New Writing Center Opens In Case

Imagine all those times the night before a paper is due when you start to doubt your thesis statement or the way you organized your paragraphs, or you draw a blank on what to write in your conclusion. Imagine those aggravating nights when you spend hours looking up sources on MONDO, searching for the books in the depths of the second, clueless about which ones to use. Now, there is a quick and easy answer to these problems. This semester, there is another helpful resource for all students who might need some guidance with writing papers. The Writing Center has opened a satellite location in the Allen room on the fourth floor of Case Library. The Center runs on a walk-in schedule, and sessions are only 15 minutes, as opposed to the 45-minute sessions at the Alumni Hall location. The Writing Center in the Allen Room is designed in a way that is perfect for helping students, who suddenly realize, at any point in the writing process, that they need instant feedback on their work. Writing Center Director Ben Opipari decided to open the Satellite location to allow students to receive instant help from consultants if they felt confused or unsure while working on their pieces. “Whereas writers go to our main 212 Alumni location with more forethought and planning, the Allen Room location is a more spur of the moment thing,” Opipari said. The Center is open Wednesday through Sunday nights from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m. Senior consultant Kristin Koch, who works at the Writing Center in the Allen Room, believes that the new space is very helpful. “Usually, Colgate kids save their papers until the last minute, so they don’t have time to make an appointment for the writing center,” she said. “Now, they can just drop in and get help right away as they write it, and it’s open later, which is really helpful.” Thus far, approximately 20 students have visited the satellite center, most likely due to its placement and limited publicity. Of these students, about 75 percent are first-year students. Opipari worries that students are not aware of the new spot. “We have only been open a few weeks, and we need to publicize it more,” Opipari said. “We are in a remote location so I am hoping that we aren’t too isolated.” Koch agrees. “It would work really well if more people knew about it,” she said. “It’s really helpful to have people there to help at the library.”