Men’s Soccer Victorious On Alumni Weekend Over Cornell

The Colgate men’s soccer team had a great week, complete with two shutout victories and an honor for senior co-captain Reed Grimes. On Saturday, the team welcomed back its alumni, as the team faced Cornell on Van Doren Field. The Big Red had defeated Colgate five years in a row, but the streak finally ended with a 3-0 victory for the Raiders. Colgate dominated the first half of the game. Grimes was the first to score, his second goal of the season. Junior Sean O’Sullivan sent a free kick into the box, which senior Peter Bourquin then gave to Grimes, who put it into the back of the net on a header. With only one minute remaining in the first half, the Raiders scored yet again to enter the second half with a 2-0 lead. Sophomore Charlie Lambropoulos found the ball and passed it off to senior co-captain Jon Cook. Cook then found O’Sullivan, who scored Colgate’s second goal of the evening. After halftime, Grimes put the ball in the net for the Raiders at the 74:58 mark. This goal was scored after O’Sullivan played a free kick. That yet again found the head of Grimes. The win was the second consecutive shutout for sophomore goalkeeper Doug Litvack. “The entire team played well Saturday night” Coach Mike Doherty said, “Reed Grimes, Sean O’Sullivan and Jon Cook all had exceptional games. The win gives us the confidence we need early in the season and sets the expected level of play for future games. We know we can play well at home, but the next three games are on the road and we are still looking for our first road win of the season.” After the game against Cornell, Grimes was named Patriot League’s Offensive Player of the Week. After his goal in Colgate’s 1-0 win over Fordham and his two goals against Cornell, Grimes was certainly deserving of this honor. He is the leading offensive player for the Raiders with three goals and six points. The team’s third shutout win and its first win on the road came on Wednesday in the game against Albany. The first and only goal of the game came at the 11:13 mark of the game. This goal was scored by Bourquin. First -year Eric Anton assisted on the goal by dishing the ball across the field to Bourquin. Although the Raiders were unable to score again, the team worked hard at keeping a tight and effective defense in order to ensure the team’s victory. The Raider defense allowed only four shots on goal. After playing a very strong game against Cornell, Litvack took a shot to the eye at the 24:09 mark in the game against Albany and was forced to sit out the remainder of the game. First-year Josh Cohen filled Litvack’s big shoes, making three saves and maintaining Colgate’s lead for the final 66 minutes of play. This was Cohen’s first collegiate win. The Raider men’s soccer team had a phenomenal week and have hopefully gained enough momentum to continue playing at this level for the rest of the season.