Bicentennial Class Walks the Red Carpet at Annual Senior Ball

Seniors enjoyed food catered by Chartwells and dancing to celebrate their upcoming graduation.

On Friday, March 1, members of the senior class gathered in the Hall of Presidents for the Senior Ball: A Red Carpet Night. Dressed in formal attire, seniors enjoyed a night of dancing and reminiscing.

The event, which takes place annually, was planned by members of the 2019 Class Council and Konosioni.

Senior class President and member of Konosioni Justin Kunz commented on the event’s success.

“We put a lot of effort into planning an event that would bring our whole class together before we graduate, and I think Senior Ball did exactly that. The Hall of Presidents was packed on Friday night, and it sounds like people had a great time,” Kunz said.

Senior Matthieu Zee, a member of Konosioni, shared a similar sentiment.

“There ended up being a great turnout and everyone looked like they were having a good time,” Zee said.

SGA member and senior Ashley de Hechavarria explained the process behind choosing the theme for the senior ball.

“We chose the Red Carpet theme based off a Google Forum sent to the senior class,” de Hechavarria said. “It was a really fun theme to work with. My favorite part was planning the decorations. I went a little crazy with all the cardboard cutouts but I was so pleased with how it all turned out.”

Cardboard cutouts of Hollywood celebrities ranging from Beyonce to Johnny Depp lined the perimeter of the space.

Senior member of Konosioni Brandon Biney also expressed positive sentiments about his experience at the Senior Ball.

“I think they killed it with the decorations this year, ultimately creating a space that was welcoming for all,” Biney said.

Junior DJ Dylan Gottesman coordinated music for the event, delivering a mixture of classic throwback sing-alongs and Top 40 dance hits. Seniors danced and mingled beneath star-shaped decorations until midnight, enjoying the last class-wide event until graduation. Konosioni and the 2019 Class Council met every week over the past two months, working closely with Chartwells dining and the Center for Leadership and Student Involvement (CLSI).

Chartwells catered the event, providing an extensive buffet of cheese, fruit, chocolate fondue and more. A buffet table was arranged in the center of the space, periodically drawing students in to enjoy snacks before they returned to the dance floor. Wine and beer were also available to students over 21 who had purchased a wristband in advance of the event.

Kunz specifically expressed gratitude for the support of the CLSI.

“A big thank you goes out to Kayla Weinstein and Denise Upton, who made this event possible,” Kunz said.

The Senior Ball’s coat check was coordinated by one of Colgate’s own Thought Into Action ventures, Campus Coat Check. Co-founder and senior Chase Headrick commented on the coat check’s success.

“We enjoyed running the coat check for the Senior Ball for the second year in a row,” Headrick said. “The success of the event has enabled us to validate our ticketless coat checking software and receive important feedback from event attendees.”

Contact Amelia Fogg at [email protected]