New Members Inducted into Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society

Newly initiated Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society members enjoy a dinner and words from Associate Professor of English Kezia Page.

The Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society welcomed new members in an induction ceremony and dinner on Tuesday, November 13.

Phi Eta Sigma is a national academic honor society that en- courages and rewards academic excellence. First-year students with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 are eligible to join.

The ceremony began at 4:45 p.m. in Love Auditorium. Phi Eta Sigma Co-Vice Presidents Jazmin Pavon ’19 and Kassi Mettler ’19 led the induction, presenting sophomore inductees with membership certificates and golden membership keys. The induction ceremony was followed by a dinner celebration at the Colgate Inn.

Associate Professor of English and Africana and Latin American Studies Kezia Page gave a speech at the Colgate Inn. Professor Page asked students to consider the intertwinement of honor and integrity.

“Integrity works best in the company of others,” Page said. Page also affirmed the beauty behind academic success and its necessity in achieving justice. “Courage is crucial to change,” Page said. “Use this taste of beauty that we share here together to change the culture and the world around you.”

Sophomore Caraline McDonnell reflected on Professor Page’s speech.

“Listening to Professor Page talk about the responsibilities and honors of being an academic, while surrounded by my inspiring peers, was by far the most outstanding moment of the night,” McDonnell said. “Her speech reminded us of what it means to learn, why we do so and encouraged us to strive to make a change.”

Phi Eta Sigma offers members the potential to win cash scholarships up to $10,000 and cash awards of $1,000. Most chapters organize projects and activities promoting academic excellence and campus and community service.

Contact Celine Turkyilmaz at [email protected].