Thank You and I’ll Miss You

The Maroon-News Staff thanks the seniors for their time and dedication over the past four years and wishes them well in life after Colgate.

During the fall semester of my sophomore year, Spencer Serling, then-Editor-in-Chief of The Colgate Maroon-News, gave me the opportunity to write for the oldest college weekly in America. Now, over two and a half years later, I do not regret my decision in the slightest. In fact, joining The Maroon-News staff was one of the best decisions that I’ve made at Colgate. I came to Hamilton, New York partially because of Colgate’s sports program and the campus’ rah-rah attitude, so joining The Maroon-News staff was a natural transition from experiencing what I love to writing about it. In case you don’t know me, I eat, sleep and breathe sports. I love to debate why my team is better than your team and why one player is the GOAT while the another is the WOAT. Writing national sports articles was one of the highlights of my week, even when I was frantically writing it before layout because I forgot that I was assigned an article that week. Though the office was heated at times, both in temperature and journalistic discussions, I genuinely enjoyed coming in every Tuesday. Working my way up from a staff writer to National Sports Editor to Senior Sports Manager has been quite a journey. Whether it be dealing with the Colgate Republicans GroupMe debacle or publishing Torchlight opinion pieces, The Maroon-News has successfully stood its ground and adapted to the Colgate’s ever-changing environment. Even though I’m only a sports writer and editor, I’ve nonetheless appreciated all my time as a member of The Maroon-News staff regardless of the stories that week. 

​Easily my favorite part about joining the Maroon-News was that it gave me a space in which I could be creative. In both my articles and my blurbs at the bottom of “Beat The Experts,” I try my absolute best to add my own unique twist on Colgate journalism. I’ve creatively written about serious sports topics, like NBA predictions or MLB rule changes, as well as less-serious pieces, like which NFL players I’d want to be stuck on an island with or a poem directed at Carmelo Anthony. Though it’s easy to get caught up in academics or just your average Colgate drama, The Maroon-News was a constant and stable cornerstone of my Colgate career as I avoided Colgate turmoil every time I stepped in the office. For that, I’m forever grateful. 

​If there’s one message that you should take away from this article, it’s to do what you love, and hopefully you’ll be surrounded by your friends while you’re doing it. If you’re a Colgate student reading this, join a club! Throw the ol’ pigskin on the quad with some buddies! While it might be tough to find that hobby and people to share it with, the first step is putting yourself out there. If you’re not a Colgate student reading this, how did you get this article? Do you just wander around random campuses in the middle of New York scooping newspapers for the heck of it? But whatever, I hope you find your hobby too!

In all seriousness, I’ve had a blast being a member of The Maroon-News. I hope I’ve had the same impact on The Maroon-News as the paper has had on me. Spencer Serling, aka SPLENCE, thanks again for taking me under your wing. You’re my boy, you’re lackluster at NHL 17 and if you’re reading this, you have way too much free time on your hands. Jackie and Megan, thanks for being great Editors-in-Chief and for sailing the S.S. Maroon-News through treacherous waters. To the Senior Staff, it was a pleasure working with you and spending my Tuesdays with you! Theo, Eric and Matt, I know I’m leaving the sports section in the most competent hands possible. I’ll miss you all more than I like to admit and I’m looking forward to reading your future articles as well as seeing how you’re going to improve The Maroon-News with your creative ideas and hard working mentality. Don’t forget about me. #RollGate

“Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.” – Babe Ruth, The Sandlot, 1993

Contact David Minster at [email protected].