A Final Note: Seniors Honored at A Cappella Jamboree

The Swinging Gates’ Julia Feikens takes center stage to perform in the A Cappella Jamboree.

The Colgate Thirteen and the Swinging Gates performed the annual Spring Jamboree on Saturday, April 7 from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Colgate Memorial Chapel. The a cappella concert featured a variety of songs chosen to feature the voices of senior soloists in the groups in their final performances.

The Swinging Gates performed first, opening with senior Sydney O’Connor singing the classic “Don’t Know Why” by Norah Jones. The following songs included Bonnie Raitt’s “Something to Talk About” performed by senior Alyssa Fritz, Etta James’ “At Last” performed by senior Sharon Ettinger, Amy Winehouse’s “Valerie” performed by senior Jayde Hull and Jewel’s “Foolish Games” performed by senior Julia Feikens. The Swinging Gates ended their set with “Helplessly Hoping” by Crosby, Stills & Nash.

The Colgate Thirteen’s performance began with Jidenna’s “Bambi,” a catchy song arranged by junior Drew O’Hara and sung by senior Tyler Kahlil Maxie. Other songs included Chris Montez’s “The More I See You” performed by senior Michael Rapaport, the Irish Folk song “Danny Boy” sung by the entire group, The Temptations’ “My Girl” sung by Maxie, The Zac Brown Band’s “Colder Weather”sung by Rapaport, and the Colgate Thirteen’s traditional farewell song, “Goodbye My Coney Island Baby.”

The audience consisted of Colgate students as well as many proud family members and friends of the singers. They all gathered together to celebrate Colgate’s treasured tradition of talented a cappella, groups who share a passion for music and bringing the community together through songs. Whether at the beginning of semester, during orientation programs or in the midst of finals week, a cappella concerts are a defining feature of Colgate that never fails to lift the spirits of students and staff alike.

“The Jamboree concert has happened every spring semester for decades. It’s the   seniors’ final performance in the chapel for both the Swinging ‘Gates and the Thirteen, and each senior gets to solo one last time. It’s a special performance and that last time singing for friends and family brings back lots of memories and emotions from over the last four years,” Rapaport said.

The Spring Jamboree provided uplifting tunes that allowed students to take a break from their hectic schedules and inspired the audience to look forward to the spring season despite the cold weather. 

“For me, Jambo is the culmination of the current seniors time in the group and a way to celebrate their contributions. Tyler and Mike, this year’s seniors, have influenced the Colgate Thirteen in major ways and through Jambo we honored all that they have done,” sophomore Trey Spadone said.

Despite the fact that the seniors will soon graduate, both the Colgate Thirteen and the Swinging Gates have a myriad of underclassmen who are only just beginning to leave their legacies behind, and who will experience the same farewell in just a few years.

“Jambo[ree] is a really special event for both the Colgate Thirteen and the Swinging Gates. It’s one of the last times the seniors get to perform with the group before they graduate, and it marks the end of their time in the group as undergrads. It’s a bittersweet time and we really work to make it special, especially for the seniors,” junior Brandon Biney said.

Contact Allegra Padula at [email protected].