Men’s Hockey Defeats RPI, Falls to Union


First-year forward Josh McKechney (above) steps up to the faceoff. The team began and ended the game strongly with an early goal in the first period and an open-net goal on a Colgate power-play in the final 30 seconds.  

Neil Ahlawat, Maroon-News Staff

For the second week in a row, the Colgate men’s ice hockey team split its weekend series, advancing its record to 12-12-4. The team blanked Rensselaer Friday evening by a score of 3-0, scoring early and padding the tally with two third period goals. Saturday night, however, the Raiders once again struck early for a 1-0 lead, only to relinquish three unanswered goals and fall to Union, 3-1. 

Among the notable plays of Friday’s game was first-year Henry Marshall’s first career goal for the team. Marshall put the Raiders on the board within the first two minutes of the game, streaking down the line on a breakaway for a wrist shot into the upper left corner. 

“Henry’s just an unbelievable teammate, that’s the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Marsh. He’s got a smile on his face and he gives you 100 percent everyday. He’s earning his keep and earning his way into the lineup,” head coach Don Vaughan said.

As per usual, sophomore goalie Colton Point continued his superb play this season, totaling 20 saves for his second consecutive shutout in the matchup with RPI. Point thwarted nine shots in an impressive second period, preventing two shots on a two-on-one breakaway from RPI. Point also made three consecutive saves before covering up the puck with a minute to go in the second period. 

The Raiders clung to a 1-0 lead until the third period, when junior forward Hunter Racine tipped in the puck to double the lead during a Colgate power play. The final Raider goal came on an empty netter from senior forward Mike Panowyk, sealing the game. 

The following night, Colgate took an early lead but was unable to maintain it, ultimately falling to Union College. First-year Josh McKechney lifted the puck past the Union goalkeeper 10 minutes into the first period off an assist from Panowyk for the early lead. Point was once again sound in goal, saving 14 of 15 shots during the second period, with a highlight of five saves during a two minute span. 

Just over one minute into the second period Union was able to tie the game at 1-1, but both teams remained deadlocked until the Union Dutchmen netted a goal with 7:51 to go in the third period during a power play to take the lead. Down the stretch, Colgate had a 12-6 advantage in shots on goal, outplaying Union, but was ultimately unable to convert and tie the game. Union added their final goal with 14 seconds to go on an empty-netter.  

“Some of it is just our youth, at that point the guys realize how desperate you have to play but we have to have the mindset that you have to play desperate hockey when the puck drops. We looked a little nervous again tonight, I don’t know what that is. We outplayed them in the third and unfortunately couldn’t get that second goal,” Vaughan said. 

Hoping to find its way back into the top 20, Colgate men’s ice hockey will hit the road next week, facing St. Lawrence on Friday, and No. 3  Clarkson the following night.

“I was disappointed we weren’t able to get at least a second goal, Colton has given us a chance every night. Overall, I was pleased with our effort and thought we worked really hard tonight,” Vaughn said. 

Both puck drops next weekend will be at 7 p.m., and the games can be heard on WKXZ-FM 93.9. Both contests will be a part of ECAC play.

Contact Neil Ahlawat at