Men’s Hockey Defeats & Ties Arizona State: Overall Record Moves to 3-2-3 Following Two-Game Series

Family weekend made for a fan-filled crowd for both games of the men’s ice hockey series. A solid performance in both games concluding the weekend with a win and a tie. 

The Colgate men’s hockey team had a packed weekend, facing off against Arizona State Sun Devils on Friday, and Saturday, October 28. The Class of ’65 Arena was filled with students and their families for both of these exciting games.

On Friday night, the Raiders had an outstanding performance, earning a shutout win 3-0 against the Sun Devils. Sophomore goalkeeper Colton Point had an outstanding performance as he earned his first career shutout with 20 saves. He played consistently all game and made huge saves in crucial moments for the Raiders. He made an incredible save with just five minutes left in the third period when ASU’s Joey Raats had a back door shot on Point, but Point slid across the crease just in time to make a stop. Point was a backbone for the Raiders all night.

Colgate’s offense was strong in the first game of the series, earning three goals from three different players. First-year forward Tyler Jeanson scored his first goal of the season in the first period with just 3:20 left on the clock. Next came sophomore forward Bobby McMann who scored with just 2.9 seconds left in the second period to give the Raiders a two goal lead. 

The Raiders kept up this strong play and nearly scored off a power play goal. To finish things off, senior forward Evan Peterson tallied his first goal of the season to put the Raiders up to a three goal lead that Arizona State couldn’t come back from. 

The Raiders had great momentum from Friday night’s victory that contributed to a strong performance yet again on Saturday night. Sophomore forward Tyler Penner was the hero of the night, scoring the game-tying goal and his first goal of the season with just 12:10 left in the third period. Sophomore Ben Sharf helped with this play as he kept possession for the Raiders and skated toward the end line, then sent the puck flying towards the net where Penner was able to control the puck and shoot it right past Arizona State’s goaltender. 

“I wouldn’t say the goal itself was pretty looking, but it definitely felt good to get that one to tie the game. The puck was just bouncing around and then Sharf spun and shot it towards the net. I was able to get a stick on and it hit off a player on the other team and went in,” Penner said.

Penner was happy with the team’s performance and was excited he was able to play a crucial role in the team’s success. Even though this was the only Colgate goal of Saturday night, Colgate’s offense was consistently strong throughout the whole night, outshooting the Sun Devils 48-22.

Both the men’s and women’s hockey programs conclude their season in the month of October unbeaten at the Class of 1965 Arena, ending with a combined record of 9-0-2. The men’s team went 3-0-2, while the women’s team has won six games with no losses or ties.

The men’s hockey team has a few days of recovery before it will face its next opponent. They will be on the road at Princeton on Friday, November 3 at 7 p.m. Be sure to support them by tuning in to the Patriot League Network!

Contact Kate Kelly at [email protected].